Vaping - when to stop?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardK

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Ideally 3 to 5.
At what point / mite drop would you say, that's ok - I'll stop now?

Yesterday I did my 4th vape as following the first 16 days ago now one hive had a drop of c. 350 in 24 hours..... & around 6/700 over 5 days. Today, 24 hours after the 4th vape, just 2. I'm thinking that's ok. What's your view? Or should I be counting the 5 day drop total?

That said, another hive has had a consistent 40 to 60 mite drop in the 24 hours following each vape, & is still at 30 mites 24 hours after their 4th vape. For these, I was going to keep going until I'm...I don't know, say below 5?

I stop vaping once I count < 30 mites , though I only keep an eye on mite drop on colonies that drop heavily after the first vape.
One year I vaped seven times and the drop after #4 was always 20 -30 mites and decided enough was enough, I now simply carry out a 3x /4x vape and call it a day.

Though this is my Autumn regime, they all had a vape early December and willhave sugar roll early spring once weather is good enough to assesss mite numbers.

I stop vaping once I count < 30 mites , though I only keep an eye on mite drop on colonies that drop heavily after the first vape.
One year I vaped seven times and the drop after #4 was always 20 -30 mites and decided enough was enough, I now simply carry out a 3x /4x vape and call it a day.

Though this is my Autumn regime, they all had a vape early December and willhave sugar roll early spring once weather is good enough to assesss mite numbers.
Thanks for that - useful to know.

Figuring out when to stop vaping can be tricky, but it sounds like you're keeping a close eye on those mite drops. Reminds me of when I was navigating the uncertainties of trying cannabis for the first time. It took some trial and error to find the right balance for me. Trust your instincts and keep monitoring those numbers. J

Latest posts

Back