The Co.op kicked us off ...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems to me like there's a breakdown in communiaction in the co-op. They are making a big song and dance about saving the honey bee and even have a campaign called Plan Bee plastered all over their website. Sounds like the manager might have taken it into his own head without consultation. Anyhow, given the high profile co-op are giving to bees, it has to be worth contacting them direct if possible; or failing that, local press, as previous posters have suggested.

What am I missing here - the Co-op have bought up some land and want it for their own exclusive use - quite possibly their own hives.

I can entirely see their position adn would be amazed if it was otherwise

I was reading in beecraft today about the Co-op's plans to "create a new army of beekeepers" - obviously so they can wage war against the existing beekeepers who were doing perfectly well before they got involved!
I'd write to them and ask for a written response as to why they asked you to move.

The Co-op gave us £1000 for our out apiary so they do help - that is why I am surprised at their attitude re your hives... maybe a polite letter asking for an explanation etc...

I can imagine that the sale was probably with vacant possession - bee keeper disenfranchised by previous owner, albeit unwittingly.

The time to bring it to the attention of the forum might actually have been when notice was served, but it's surely a business matter. Contrary to popular opinion businesses are not normally run by general public opinion. I suppose that the OP has a Co-op share number and so some small claim to representation?

How many have been in the military and at the end of your service been served notice of eviction from a married quarter? It seems harsh and impersonal, but the truth is that it is merely impersonal, as it has to be if the greater business interest has to be properly served. Some might call lit due dilligence.

Being a fruit farm, then I can only conclude that a sufficiency of bees are important to the operation. Not being stupid, I can only assume that the Co-op had/has a plan to ensure the continued success of their top fruit operation, but I don't suppose that there was any discussion in this regard? From my own limited experience top fruit farmers are aware of the difference in cropping when there are bees available and when there are not and most don't actually look to cut off their own noses.

Given that the OP is now bored with the subject, which is largely historical given his timely report, I have to wonder what we haven't heard that might put a slightly different complexion on matters.

If I told a new owner/manager that I had a right to be there, I might not expect to receive quite as warm a reception as I might expect. In fact I might have expected, if my relationship was good with the previous owner that I might have been introduced to the representative of the new owners and discussion opened.

Can you really believe that knowing that there was to be a new owner, that the OP did exactly nothing to represent a case for his staying, that being the pollination of the top fruit. Maybe he wasn't willing to put in a sufficiency of colonies to secure a tenancy, but the list goes on.

Why should anyone take more interest than the OP who has stated that he is now bored :sifone: with discussing the issue. Could that be part of the original problem. :smash:

I can imagine that the sale was probably with vacant possession - bee keeper disenfranchised by previous owner, albeit unwittingly.

The time to bring it to the attention of the forum might actually have been when notice was served, but it's surely a business matter. Contrary to popular opinion businesses are not normally run by general public opinion. I suppose that the OP has a Co-op share number and so some small claim to representation?

How many have been in the military and at the end of your service been served notice of eviction from a married quarter? It seems harsh and impersonal, but the truth is that it is merely impersonal, as it has to be if the greater business interest has to be properly served. Some might call lit due dilligence.

Being a fruit farm, then I can only conclude that a sufficiency of bees are important to the operation. Not being stupid, I can only assume that the Co-op had/has a plan to ensure the continued success of their top fruit operation, but I don't suppose that there was any discussion in this regard? From my own limited experience top fruit farmers are aware of the difference in cropping when there are bees available and when there are not and most don't actually look to cut off their own noses.

Given that the OP is now bored with the subject, which is largely historical given his timely report, I have to wonder what we haven't heard that might put a slightly different complexion on matters.

If I told a new owner/manager that I had a right to be there, I might not expect to receive quite as warm a reception as I might expect. In fact I might have expected, if my relationship was good with the previous owner that I might have been introduced to the representative of the new owners and discussion opened.

Can you really believe that knowing that there was to be a new owner, that the OP did exactly nothing to represent a case for his staying, that being the pollination of the top fruit. Maybe he wasn't willing to put in a sufficiency of colonies to secure a tenancy, but the list goes on.

Why should anyone take more interest than the OP who has stated that he is now bored :sifone: with discussing the issue. Could that be part of the original problem. :smash:

I was bored with disecting the original post....We had good relationship with all at farm , very good...Was told by manager that as we were the general public us or our bees had to move off the farm as they only wanted farm employees on it... This was towards the end of last year.. We tried hard ,very hard to fight our corner to stay but got nowhere with it...Maybe they have plans to have co.op bees but after the way we were treated it came down to the fact that its easier to leave

Thank u ....when we were told isnt really here nor there ,the point is were told to get off..we said would move when found new site

When you were told is the point, end of last year,so you have had plenty of time to move.
Had you told me you would move when you found a new site and was still there 3/4 months later you would be down the road sharpish.

I have seen in the past having to move with in 24 hours.

I think a wee bit too much is being made of this. If it was Fred Blogs farmer would the thread have even got this far?

PH

Original Poster has lost credibility by telling only part of the truth.. and omitting that part which makes the Co-Op look more reasonable.. (notice).

Makes the Daily Mail look like Reuters..:icon_bs:

This is what I was trying to get at from the start.

Well that is very odd because they have been promoting bee friendly everything and I think have sponsored hives. So a bit of research on this and some mega publicity might do the trick!
Louise

Well that is very odd because they have been promoting bee friendly everything and I think have sponsored hives. So a bit of research on this and some mega publicity might do the trick!
Louise

The co-op as a whole being pro-bee isn't the same thing as every co-op employee and contractor loving every beekeeper in every circumstance.

the coop have many estates and are very keen to have lots of bees as they plant up borage etc on local estate, they have a guy who runs hundreds of hives on coop estate in leicester

And has done for three years, but your figure is perhaps a little over stated.
If you see a blue Land Rover coming over the grassy knoll, then duck, because the grassy knoll is in Dallas, not Leicester.

Latest posts

Back