Test Frame result

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Not sure what I am looking at here any opinions would be appreciated even 'go read a book' I have.
No sign of a queen or any eggs so put in a test frame with eggs visible (must have been good light cos I generally can't see them, but then my mentor said its the little tiny white sticks.........really) on Monday last. I looked this evening and have no sign of any attempt to create a queen cell, no sign of any capped brood, we do however have larvae in a small area.
My question is this, as there has been no attempt to build a queen cell am I now sure there is an active queen?
There is also an over abundance of drones, in my beginners opinion anyway.
Any thoughts folks?

You have a queen of sorts.
The larvae are from the eggs you saw? Capped at eight days....would that fit in with when you put the frame in 5 days ago?
Lots of drones seems quite common in my hives at this time of year and they seem to like colonies with virgins or newly mated queens.

Check for laying workers.

No queen cells from a test frame does not mean there is a queen present.

If no queen cells from that frame then the bees think they are Q+, did you check other frames this eve, and if so, see any eggs? I presume the larvae were only on the test frame?

If you have a DLQ (or laying workers) then you would still see eggs elsewhere - however you mention you usually cannot see them.

The only way to confirm laying workers (if you cant see egss) or DLQ is when the brood is capped.

But as I said, it looks like you have something laying in the hive as the bees think you are Q+, and as we know, bees do not always know best!

Drinkstone

But as I said, it looks like you have something laying in the hive as the bees think you are Q+, and as we know, bees do not always know best!

I better PM you to tell you my thoughts on this.

<yawn>

Can someone (else) please tell me what is wrong with stating that

1. The bees think there is a viable queen in the colony

but

2. There may not be, bees do not always know best. Just because they do not raise a queen from a test frame, does NOT mean there is a viable queen present (as they bees think)?

Anyone?

Last edited:
It seems that I need to go out there and seek the queen out, also look very closely for eggs, which after my mentors help and some Googling I will now see! No sign of queen may mean worker laying if so remove all frames shake of bees and return to hive with new queen, this should leave the laying workers behind and out of the equation? I do have a mated queen coming along nicely in a nuc. What do you reckon Oliver?

In reality laying workers (yes there are some in every colony lets take that for granted) are not that common as in they take over.

I have had it once over goodness knows how may colony years but enough that if it were that usual I would surely have seen it more than once.

Leads me on to wonder if some strains are more liable to it than others but that is another matter.

The probability is you have a virgin in the colony but as said do keep an eye out for eggs on the cell walls, and not on the cell floor which is where a mated queen would put them. With the recent weather she may well just be mated and come into lay this week coming.

PH

No sign of a queen or any eggs so put in a test frame with eggs visible (must have been good light cos I generally can't see them, but then my mentor said its the little tiny white sticks.........really) on Monday last. I looked this evening and have no sign of any attempt to create a queen cell, no sign of any capped brood, we do however have larvae in a small area. ...

I just wonder how many eggs were really on the frame.

Why do you feel the need to advertise PMs?

Just to reassure over the years the test frame technique has stood me in very good stead with two results, negative has been a virgin or very recently mated queen in residence and positive has been queenless.

No need for the waters to be muddied by what if's. The results for me have been conclusive over hundreds of occasions.

PH

In reality laying workers (yes there are some in every colony lets take that for granted) are not that common as in they take over.

I have had it once over goodness knows how may colony years but enough that if it were that usual I would surely have seen it more than once.

Leads me on to wonder if some strains are more liable to it than others but that is another matter.

The probability is you have a virgin in the colony but as said do keep an eye out for eggs on the cell walls, and not on the cell floor which is where a mated queen would put them. With the recent weather she may well just be mated and come into lay this week coming.

PH

I had laying workers on one hive this year. But i think it was my own fault as i left them Q- for too long. I left them 3 weeks with a dud queen cell then another week to make sure there was no queen in there. Then on the 5th week i did a test frame, but by that point i think laying workers started to lay and the resutls from the test frame was no queen cells built.

Why do you feel the need to advertise PMs?

I wouldn't want anyone to miss one, would I? (don't answer that)

I see what you mean. It would be good if there was some kind of facility on the forum to notify one when a private message has arrived.

There is.

If you get one it shows in the top right hand corner under... Private Messages..LOL

You can also set matters to send you an email.

PH

You can also set matters to send you an email.

PH,

I know that, but emails from new sources can end up dumped in the junk mail bin.

Anyhow my system seems to be working well. :)

I will PM you.

RAB

Latest posts

Back