Test frame now with two small QC’s

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaryH

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
One
I thought I had a Qeeenless hive. Put a test frame in and sure enough there are two capped Queen cells however they are very small. ( before anyone asks they’re not drone cells)
Could one of these still be viable.

What was the reason? Whatever happened, were there QCs in the hive and on what date?

A photo would help us have a guesstimate.

Sorry no pics of the QC’s

Whilst I was on holiday a fellow beek was helping but my only hive swarmed. However, the Queen was clipped so it must’ve been a cast swarm. At that time my colleague apparently released a Virgin Queen emerging from a cell into the colony and put the clipped queen into a nuc. He also split the colony too. Result is three colonies. With the ubiquitous clipped Buckfast Queen in one.

Upon my return from holiday I put a test frame in one colony and the bees did not make any queen cells. I have since seen a mated queen and BIAS in this colony 👍🏼

I put a test frame in the remaining colony (in question) and the result was two queen cells that are now capped. They are smaller than any other queen I’ve seen before hence my question?
Could it be that the test frame that I placed in this hive did not have any viable eggs/larvae resulting in underdeveloped queen cells??

(even though I thought I saw eggs I may have been mistaken and the Bees may have made a queen cell from young larvae)

Sorry no pics of the QC’s

Whilst I was on holiday a fellow beek was helping but my only hive swarmed. However, the Queen was clipped so it must’ve been a cast swarm. At that time my colleague apparently released a Virgin Queen emerging from a cell into the colony and put the clipped queen into a nuc. He also split the colony too. Result is three colonies. With the ubiquitous clipped Buckfast Queen in one.

Upon my return from holiday I put a test frame in one colony and the bees did not make any queen cells. I have since seen a mated queen and BIAS in this colony 👍🏼

I put a test frame in the remaining colony (in question) and the result was two queen cells that are now capped. They are smaller than any other queen I’ve seen before hence my question?
Could it be that the test frame that I placed in this hive did not have any viable eggs/larvae resulting in underdeveloped queen cells??

(even though I thought I saw eggs I may have been mistaken and the Bees may have made a queen cell from young larvae)
I would remove them and put in a proper test frame. Find a cluster of cells in the centre of the frame with eggs in, scrape the comb back to the foundation immediately below the cells with the eggs in about 3 cm across and the depth of your hive tool. 99 percent certain that is where they will make nice queen cells if they are indeed queen less. They will be indented into the surrounding comb so less likely to damage. You are guessing at the moment which isn't helping you reach a decision

I would remove them and put in a proper test frame. Find a cluster of cells in the centre of the frame with eggs in, scrape the comb back to the foundation immediately below the cells with the eggs in about 3 cm across and the depth of your hive tool. 99 percent certain that is where they will make nice queen cells if they are indeed queen less. They will be indented into the surrounding comb so less likely to damage. You are guessing at the moment which isn't helping you reach a decision
Thanks that’s new knowledge for me. I’ll try it tomorrow

my only hive swarmed. However, the Queen was clipped so it must’ve been a cast swarm.
No, it was still the first swarm out so a prime swarm.
People wrongly assume that a swarm led by a virgin queen must be called a cast. A cast swarm is the second swarm out, the third a colt and the fourth a filly.

No, it was still the first swarm out so a prime swarm.
People wrongly assume that a swarm led by a virgin queen must be called a cast. A cast swarm is the second swarm out, the third a colt and the fourth a filly.
Probably not the first swarm out if the queen was clipped, but the first one not to return.
What that does to the nomenclature I have no idea!
Maybe different terminology would be more helpful.

result was two queen cells that are now capped. They are smaller than any other queen I’ve seen before
Dawned on me that you may be referring to emergency queen cells, which are usually smaller than swarm or supersedure cells. If that is so, you are mistaken if you believe that they are sub-par: the QC goes right back to the foundation and standard virgins will emerge.

Take a photo tomorrow?

Probably not the first swarm out if the queen was clipped, but the first one not to return.
thus the ones that went out with the clipped queen is not considered a swarm as they returned (as all bees do every day) to the hive, the first (prime) swarm is the one that left with a queen not to return, regardless of her deflowerment

thus the ones that went out with the clipped queen is not considered a swarm as they returned (as all bees do every day) to the hive, the first (prime) swarm is the one that left with a queen not to return, regardless of her deflowerment

Question was whether small queen cells would be viable and this has been answered by someone who said they would be Emergency queen cells which makes sense because I put a test frame in

Even small Qs can be good if properly mated..

Question was whether small queen cells would be viable and this has been answered by someone who said they would be Emergency queen cells which makes sense because I put a test frame in
Yes, some emergency queens can be very good.

Latest posts

Back