talk about bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barry

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
where the wife and i keep our bees ( a garden and nursery open to the public) they have talks on different subjects during spring and summer. as we are keeping our bees there we have been asked to give a talk on beekeeping. we only started ourslves early 2010 so it is going to be a challange (for the wife:)). so any advice on format etc.

Last edited:
I usually start with - "so who has seen those great big wonderful bees very early in the year foraging in the garden- -No! they are not honey bees but the queen Bumbles starting to build a new colony"- then a short chat about Bumbles - (declining) then solitary- then say but the Honey bee is the only bee to live in a huge community with amazing allocation of tasks to assist that community and also live through the winter as that same community - and go from there about their life from egg to death.
Just a quick outline... have fun-
if you love your subject it isn't difficult. And it is amazing how ignorant the public are. I don't think I am that knowledgeable yet- but people come up to me saying Wow you know such a lot.... It isn't hard when some think that the queen bumble is the queen from the hive out on a jolly!!:rofl:

talk on beekeeping.

If not too confident on the finer points of beekeeping, you could simply base your talk on your experiences to get started as a beekeeper. You will have, by then, that experience and not one present can disagree with your particular set of circumstances. A few other beginners' problems, where you avoided that particular trap, could be used to demonstrate you didn't get everything wrong in that first year. You could even read Bill Turnbill and compare your experiences with his!

Keeping away from queen breeding might also be a good tip! In fact it is a good idea to make a list those topics which you don't want to include.

I am sure you (your wife) will be well received by an appreciative audience.

Regards, RAB

if you love your subject it isn't difficult. And it is amazing how ignorant the public are. I don't think I am that knowledgeable yet- but people come up to me saying Wow you know such a lot....

Yes, that's so true so go for it.
I can talk about bees for ever, the trouble is it now induces a far away gaze in most of my relatives and friends. Strangers, on the other hand, are a wonderful audience :) :)

I'd begin with WHY I started beekeeping, then onto the HOW you started and talk through your first season. You'll get lots of questions and you may encourage a few people to start. Tell them why you enjoy being with bees and your plans for this year. Take along an empty hive, smoker etc.
Good luck!

bring an empty hive if you can.
some drawn comb is always good(people like to feel and touch).
a few varroa mites selotaped on a white paper is handy.
if its allowed bring some honey.
have a beesuit around.
And rember its a talk not a lecture. start up is a very good subject and your knowledge can save most of the people there a few hundered pounds worth of mistakes. recomend books and websites for anyone who wants more info.ie(hooper and here )
MAKE plenty of time for informal question time (after talk to walk around the room answering questions.)
and if you are really nervous aproach ur local assosiation

My old friend used to snatch a couple of drones of a landing board and persuade inquisitive neighbours to handle them !.
"It's the big Fuzzy Buzzy ones you must avoid, not my bees" he used to say tongue in cheek .

John Wilkinson

KISS (keep it simple!)
Make a prompt sheet for yourself with just some simple headings so you don't forget anything - "how I started", "hive types" "swarms" etc (end up with "wing it" at the bottom) - if possible have a hive to show them, component parts that can be passed round, and I do them a "crib sheet" - a simple two-sided home computer printed sheet mostly with photos (to show things you haven't got with you), and a few web links of useful internet addresses.
Be enthusiastic, wave your arms about a lot, encourage questions, and if possible pass round a jar of your honey with some disposable (or washable) spoons so they can have a taster......
Watch someone like Chris Packham - he doesn't have a particularly brilliant voice or technique, but because he's an enthusiast he positively fizzes with a passion for his subject - it's infectious!
Best of luck!:coolgleamA:

thanks guys going to get started on some prompt sheets. people where we go target shooting are always asking about our bees and we enjoy telling them so i agree it should go ok. it would be nice to inspire someone else to take up beekeeping as we have found it fascinating since we started.

PM me. I have some good PowerPoint presentations on beekeeping and a handy "flower menu" for bees that garden centres like as it helps encourage the bond between gardening and beekeeping. And remember, u already know loads more about bees than your audience.
Eb

By the way, if ur planning a honey tasting, those useless bits of plastic or wooden sticks u get in coffee shops masquerading as stirrers, work well. Not too much per person and easily disposable.
Eb

And make sure no double dipping, one dip per stick.

Let the greedy have multiple sticks, in the interest of everyone.

By the way, if ur planning a honey tasting, those useless bits of plastic or wooden sticks u get in coffee shops masquerading as stirrers, work well. Not too much per person and easily disposable.
Eb

You can also use breadsticks cut to shorter sizes - one dip per stick and some cut up paper towels to catch drips.

I also have a quick quiz - guess how many bees in a hive, how far bees travel to make a pound of honey, nearest to the correct guess wins a jar of honey.
Cazza

Lots of hand outs and take all your gear and lay it out on a table. If you get stuck for some thing to say look at your table and some thing will spring to mind. Even if you only explain what you have on display.

If you have a friend who has some honey they want to sell invite them to come along and set up a stale... !

quiz

how about getting HRP to formally count the occupants of your hive then you could offer a small jar of honey to the person who guesses closest?

I agree that setting up a table with elements of the hive for people to interact with is a powerful draw card. Honey-tasting, drawn combs in frames, etc, all seem to fascinate people. Would I be putting a damper on things if I were to say it is probably also a really good idea to be honest about just how d*ng hard it can be to be a beekeeper? How much time and money, and blood, sweat and tears, it takes to make honey? And that they're not going to get-rich-quick by getting into it?

I do think it's important to present people with a realistic view of what beekeeping involves; so that you draw committed people rather than someone who is just going to lose interest after one short, sharp, shocking season and end up neglecting their colony?

I did a talk on keeping bees for my school pet club. I took lots of photos of the hive and bee frames, as others suggested I brought bits of equipment and my bee suit. I had hardly enough time to answer all the questions I was asked. I am only a beginner and I explained this but still had enough knowledge to make the talk interesting. It was fun.

Start your talk on Pig breeding and watch there faces !!

Latest posts

Back