Swienty vs Abelo poly

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have a look at how well the frames fit in your swienty. I found a fair gap at each top bar end, about an eighth. If this is the case, try laying the runner along the ledge, short end up and the top bar fits snugly.

Interesting , i laid them over the edge to give a little lift and protect the poly , that might work also ? and allows top space so they don't get crushed.

I give the tops and bottoms of my old style swienty boxes two coats of yacht varnish, without this bees nibble towards daylight and compromise the box in my experience.

Ahhh get you now :) My swientys are 14x12 and my shallows are cedar so it's not an issue but I can see double national deeps being a problem.

Those who remove the rails do they not have an issue with the frames getting propolised?

There's a big cost saving to be made by mixing / matching poly & wood and adding some simple DIY
Just totting up how much my setup cost:
Swienty 14x12. £26
Wire QE sales. £7
Cedar supers x5 3rd quality £5 each
Home made CB reclaimed wood £0
Home made roof - roofing felt £1
Home made OMF - mesh £2.50
Home made varroa monitor-correx £1.50

Total £43.00

Interesting , i laid them over the edge to give a little lift and protect the poly , that might work also ? and allows top space so they don't get crushed.

The reason I had the shorter end up was to stop the frames from shuffling, causing the Hoffman spacers to overlap.

I give the tops and bottoms of my old style swienty boxes two coats of yacht varnish, without this bees nibble towards daylight and compromise the box in my experience.

:yeahthat:

Same here. IMHO it adds a bit of protection against bees and the overzealous use of the hive tool.

There's a big cost saving to be made by mixing / matching poly & wood and adding some simple DIY
Just totting up how much my setup cost:
Swienty 14x12. £26
Wire QE sales. £7
Cedar supers x5 3rd quality £5 each
Home made CB reclaimed wood £0
Home made roof - roofing felt £1
Home made OMF - mesh £2.50
Home made varroa monitor-correx £1.50

Total £43.00

:iagree:

I prefer cedar supers as they get bashed around a bit plus the savings are a no brainer.

What type of felt do u use for the roofs? Standard shed or something a bit more exotic?

All finished and added the runners as Swarm suggested ( great tip ) , used varnish on the ledge and that glued the runners down nicely , Hammerite paint has sealed the poly and the finish is like plastic-like , all good i think.

Nice, looks like a shell. One thing to be aware of though, it's best not to paint mating faces. With the weight, they will stick together and will come apart with a loud 'crack'. You should be OK with an excluder between but one to remember when box sits on box.

Thanks and with you on that , for this one i was going to try talc/power and see how that goes , ive only painted the base/BB so might leave the super interfaces bare.

Thanks and with you on that , for this one i was going to try talc/power and see how that goes , ive only painted the base/BB so might leave the super interfaces bare.

I varnish and then smear a bit of Vaseline on, no issues with sticking

I have just read through this and my head hurt's, if the boxes you buy can not be used instantly without messing about with them what is the point in buying them when others can be used without applying anything but give the same result.

You can use the Abelo instantly as it comes painted and pre-assembled as its one piece. The Swienty is flat packed (reduces postage costs), takes about 1 minute to assemble and the painting is optional.

I have just read through this and my head hurt's, if the boxes you buy can not be used instantly without messing about with them what is the point in buying them when others can be used without applying anything but give the same result.

I agree but can you find me a top space poly 14x12 please?

I agree but can you find me a top space poly 14x12 please?

Nope unless you mess about with shims of wood i fear you may be goosed.. it's beggars belief, all the money to be gained in bee keeping and no body can come up with a be all end all solution..

all the money to be gained in bee keeping and no body can come up with a be all end all solution..

No matter what manufacturers come up with they will never please everyone.

Exactly , make a top bee space version and everyone would complain it's not compatible with their wooden hives

Exactly , make a top bee space version and everyone would complain it's not compatible with their wooden hives

Why would they? They would go for top or bottom just like wooden box manufacturers give an option.

Latest posts

Back