Swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete Nicholson

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
:thanks::thanks::thanks:
Just got a swarm (3 pm)- and it's not from one of my hives as inspected yesterday. I was desperately in need of something like this as my second hive is in very poor state of decline. Seem to be very friendly - I didn't really need my suit but time will tell. Just happened to go down the garden and thought - my bees sound buzzy - then looked and the swarm coming from the west and finally landed in the next door but one neighbours garden at low level - how good can it get??
Don't worry BEE happy

P.

Last edited:
:)
Need to update your profile now then

Hi Luminos - not yet mate as this could wel replace the declining hive.!!
P.

Don't forget to feed in a few days and an isolation area would be good

Bags of feed in the Nuc Redwood as had 2 frames well laden with last years honey and 2 frames drawn but unfilled and have added two undrawn frames on the outside.
Hopefully the makings of a satisfied colony.
I'm leaving them next to the hive that I think will need replacing. Unsure if I should face them the other way though - going to ask my mentor tomorrow as he knows my setup.
P.

Last edited:
Bags of feed in the Nuc Redwood as had 2 frames well laden with last years honey and 2 frames drawn but unfilled and have added two undrawn frames on the outside.
Hopefully the makings of a satisfied colony.
I'm leaving them next to the hive that I think will need replacing. Unsure if I should face them the other way though - going to ask my mentor tomorrow as he knows my setup.
P.

The idea is that they should consume their on-board (possibly contaminated) stores before being given more - so their own stuff cannot be stored.
Hence holding off feeding for about a couple of days.
One old comb (potentially to be discarded shortly) is a good idea.
Drawing foundation is the best way of getting them to consume those on-board stores...

:thanks::thanks::thanks:
Just got a swarm (3 pm)- and it's not from one of my hives as inspected yesterday. I was desperately in need of something like this as my second hive is in very poor state of decline. Seem to be very friendly - I didn't really need my suit but time will tell. Just happened to go down the garden and thought - my bees sound buzzy - then looked and the swarm coming from the west and finally landed in the next door but one neighbours garden at low level - how good can it get??
Don't worry BEE happy

P.

I think that's what I would tell my neighbour as well. But I'll take them away for you. That's what I'd say.

Hi ITMA - not possible though I agree with you. I'm off for the next five days on business and SWMBO won't take charge.
Best result I can hope to acheive at this present time. Thanks for the comments.
P.

Latest posts

Back