Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Polyanwood 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Anyone got an information sheet that I could post up in the allotment about swarming please? They keep asking. I need to explain what a swarm is, and what they should do.

Thanks,
Karin

thebhoy 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi Karen,

is this one of any use, it is one from the BBKA,

Cheers

thebhoy

Polyanwood 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Thanks thebhoy. I like it but it is long isn't it. The allotment holders will need something shorter - they won't bother to read all of that. That leaflet makes me realise that probably it would be helpful to have a picture of a swarm on my information sheet, otherwise plot holders might be ringing me up all the time to move bumble bee and wasps nests!

Anyone got a shorter one...otherwise I might have to have a go at writing one, or at least editing this one.

Brosville 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
tbh
Number of Hives
Swarms
(Photo)

Swarming is an entirely natural impulse of bees, once in a while, especially during the "season" (April-Aug) the queen may leave with several thousands of her cohorts looking for a new home, and will usually collect like a buzzing football in a tree or bush.
What to do? Firstly, don't panic! Swarming bees are at their most docile, they fill themselves full of honey before leaving, so they're rather like us after a hefty Christmas dinner, and their main concern is looking after the queen, who will be somewhere in the middle.
Leave them well alone, and call one of us immediately - (telephone numbers), and we'll come along and rehome them - as long as you leave them well alone, it is very unlikely that you will get stung.
Thanks for your co-operation - any swarm spotters are traditionally rewarded with honey and profuse thanks!

Last edited:

match 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
6-8
I've got a poster I made up which I use at our apiary - I've tidied it up a bit - just change the contact info and it might be what you need :)

Swarm Info Poster

steve1958 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
Thats really useful
Thanks match

Latest posts