Swarm in hive roofo

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigavonb

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just noticed bees enter empty hive under roof and it is a swarm if they have started comb building what is the best way to sort them out. If they have brood in the comb could I turn the roof upside down and place a brood box with a roof on top would they move into the brood

Just noticed bees enter empty hive under roof and it is a swarm if they have started comb building what is the best way to sort them out. If they have brood in the comb could I turn the roof upside down and place a brood box with a roof on top would they move into the brood

I've never done that but I've seen it referred to on here as the standard method. If there's not too much it may just be easier to shook swarm them. In any case good luck sorting out the tower it sounds like you are going to have (photos welcome!)

Yes.

You would need an entry hole for the bees to forage and something to surround the brood chamber to stop the inverted roof becoming a swimming pool. Better to discard the comb or tie the comb into frames and place frames in empty brood box. I'm assuming you have a crownboard in place to stop them getting deeper into the empty hive. Or is it a shell without frames and crownboard? More info needed please.

Last edited:

Your roof must be poorly fitting to allow bees to enter by that route.

Latest posts

Back