Feed with capping

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Could I feed extraction cappings back to the bees by putting them into an eke (empty super) separated from the brood box by a board with a small (size?) hole in it? Would this result in honey being moved down into the brood box or result in a waxy mess in the eke (my past experience without a board)?

Could I feed extraction cappings back to the bees by putting them into an eke (empty super) separated from the brood box by a board with a small (size?) hole in it? Would this result in honey being moved down into the brood box or result in a waxy mess in the eke (my past experience without a board)?
Put the cappings into an English feeder or similar but remove the cup.
https://www.thorne.co.uk/health-feeding/feeders-food-&-supplements/feeders/english-feeder.html

No it works well Alan when there isn’t a flow on ,your cappings will end up being ready to melt down .

Thanks - and what size hole in the board?
As small as possible ,not pin hole size 🙂 1 inch .
I use reversible cbs on some all season the ekes are 50 mm - 100mm and permanently attached so when you have finished hole gets sealed then insulation gets put back in the eke.

Would this result in honey being moved down into the brood box or result in a waxy mess in the eke
both.
I find it a pretty pointless exercise, only useful for someone with nothing else to do with their time, as, unless quickly cleared away after the bees clean it they just remodel the wax into all kinds of shape so when you come to melt it down it is no better than any other wax and will need filtering before using

Last edited:
both.
I find it a pretty pointless exercise, only useful for someone with nothing else to do with their time, as, unless quickly cleared away after the bees clean it they just remodel the wax into all kinds of shape so when you come to melt it down it is no better than any other wax and will need filtering before using
It is all so much simpler if you use a long deep hive. Just put Cappings to half fill a honey bucket and put that inside the hive body , right at the back, separate from the occupied frames but touching the hive walls. Bees clean out any honey but do not restructure the wax as much as they do-if the wax is right above the brood nest.

Latest posts

Back