Swarm how long before queen starts to lay

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chickendave

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 colonies + nuc's
Collected a swarm last Thursday it was about twentfy five up hanging on a branch and I guess about the size of a ruby ball, got a ladder out and a long poll with a bucket and knocked them in and put them into a six frame nuc
Due to the size of the swarm I assumed it was a cast
Had a look today all six frames of fondation drawn and eggs and grubs covering two/ three frames and going on two full frames of stores
Has any one else had such good results, i've collected a lot of swarms but this is the fasted a queen has started to lay

I assumed it was a cast

Never assume unless that option is the only one and everything fits (and then you can be wrong!) It was a tiny prime? Numbers don't add up unless they had been in the swarm cluster a few days and the queen had made mating flights from there!

She was going some to lay up 2-3 frames, takes 3-4 days for there to be a lot of larvae. Leaves only a couple days for her to mate and come into lay. That is just a tad too fast by my thinking.

RAB

I've had bees make comb and the queen lay eggs, in the skep on the way home from collecting a swarm!

tonyblock thats fast and oliver90owner small amount of larvea showing and the rest eggs and it was as you stated a small prime swarm and not what I originally thought was a cast

Latest posts

Back