Supplements advice - Juiced up bees!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sugar water does not give bigger brooding after winter. That is sure.

You can only fill warm brood cells with sugar.

Certain size cluster can nurse only certain size brood area. Not more.

Last edited:
If you look Belfast's or Glascow's weather next week, it is not pollen foraging weather there.

Sugar water does not give bigger brooding after winter. That is sure.

You can only fill warm brood cells with sugar.

Certain size cluster can nurse only certain size brood area. Not more.
'
You've completely lost me there Finnie!

:calmdown:

Hivealive. 40% increase in honey yield, thanks to sea algae. How to become rich!

Last edited:
I am certain that peer reviewed papers will soon be published that contain all the information that some are crying out for.

There is a population of Native dark bees that can be defined from the SNPs as being unique to Cornwall.

Yet more unsubstantiated rhetoric from our Cornish Pixie.
Either you have access to the data or you don't.
My bet is you don't.

Please update us with any new developments on the Cornish Amm's, ... especially if the queens become available commercially ;)

It's a good idea to compare and contrast various strains and sub species of bees. I've tried several over the years...it's fascinating stuff.
But at some point you will have to decide if you are going to farm rare breed bees or produce serious amounts of honey.
They are rare breeds for obvious reasons.

Yet more unsubstantiated rhetoric from our Cornish Pixie.
Either you have access to the data or you don't.
My bet is you don't.

I'm struggling here, do you doubt Cornish native bees exist?
The moon landings were real too ;)

They are breeding it mite resistant. Is it then "native" any more or gene manipulated GMO? Just move couple of genes from Apis cerana.

Last edited:
They are breeding it mite resistant. Is it then "native" any more or gene manipulated GMO? Just move couple of genes from Apis cerana.

Every strain of bee is a work in progress. Nature cannot stand still let alone go back in time, every creature is a red queen running non-stop to stay in the same position.

Every strain of bee is a work in progress. Nature cannot stand still let alone go back in time, every creature is a red queen running non-stop to stay in the same position.

What about those "since Ice Age bees"? From tundra.

The question I am really asking is how much introgression of "alien" genes into a sub -species still allows you to determine or call it the same sub species or strain as opposed to a mongrel bee?
The last data I came across on Cornish bee DNA studies showed the very best had at least 20% "foreign genes".
I've asked Hoppy if he will provide more recent data which he claims to have access to.
Currently we get a lot of hand waving but no data.

The question I am really asking is how much introgression of "alien" genes into a sub -species still allows you to determine or call it the same sub species or strain as opposed to a mongrel bee?
The last data I came across on Cornish bee DNA studies showed the very best had at least 20% "foreign genes".
I've asked Hoppy if he will provide more recent data which he claims to have access to.
Currently we get a lot of hand waving but no data.

Oh, why does it bother you?
I'm sure any relevant data will enter the public domain when it's appropriate to do so.

Oh, why does it bother you?
Because I have the UK's only colonies of 100% pure "Old English Bees" 100% Amm, absolutely no introgression from any "Johnny Foreigner imports". They are unbelievable bees, extremely black and wing morphometery Hoppy would have wet dreams over.
Queens are available £300 each from next May/June.

Latest posts

Back