Supplements advice - Juiced up bees!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I reckon the best use of pollen supplements round here would be in an autumn dearth, sometimes in a dry August the bees barely fly and the queen stops laying so a slap and a slurp then would likely lead to a stronger overwintering population assuming varroa'd been taken care of.

Same here, late august to the start of ivy is my pollen dearth

It depends... if your love is Autochtone bees then probably they have adapted to the local environment

"Autochtone", meaning native or indigenous? - meaning 'originating from a particular region'.

Considering all the bees in our islands have been imported in the past 100 years, that would mean that all our bees are "special", and from listening to how most beeks talk about their bees, they're all special to them at least, I think that's something we can all agree on :cheers2:

“Considering all the bees in our islands have been imported in the past 100 years, that would mean that all our bees are "special"

Go put your hard hat on TooBee:lurk5:

"Autochtone", meaning native or indigenous? - meaning 'originating from a particular region'.

Considering all the bees in our islands have been imported in the past 100 years, that would mean that all our bees are "special", and from listening to how most beeks talk about their bees, they're all special to them at least, I think that's something we can all agree on :cheers2:

What about our existing bee's that we're already here ?
Forget the hard hat get on the back of your horse jousting is a foot.

Same here, late august to the start of ivy is my pollen dearth

Different local conditions amaze me. Same period is very good for pollen in my locality...it's now when it 'aint great.

There are thousands of micro climates across the UK. Always have been so what's so odd?

PH

What's odd...the general universal advice proffered by many.

Different local conditions amaze me. Same period is very good for pollen in my locality...it's now when it 'aint great.

Do you not have hazel, willow, blackthorn, cherry, snowdrops and dandelions either blooming or about to flower?

What about Nozevit +? This appears to be a supplement, rather than medicinal, as I had thought. Is there any evidence that it does help build up?

What about Nozevit +? This appears to be a supplement, rather than medicinal, as I had thought. Is there any evidence that it does help build up?

Nozevit best given in the autumn with their winter feed - it's basically just HM's Thymol emulson with added snake oil and fairy dust, helps against winter nosema, and that's just about it, so save money and dig out the recipe on here :D

What about our existing bee's that we're already here ?

My understanding is that the Old British & Irish Black bees (two strains of the continental A. m. mellifera) died out from 1906 to 1945, due to the Isle of Wight disease. DNA evidence here in Ireland has confirmed our A.m.m's are mainly of Dutch (and some French) origin.

Brother Adam maintained that the Old British Black Bee was a superior bee than the imported A.m.m's brought into the country to replace them, hence the reason why he tried in vain to locate them up until 1943.

My understanding is that the Old British & Irish Black bees (two strains of the continental A. m. mellifera) died out from 1906 to 1945, due to the Isle of Wight disease. DNA evidence here in Ireland has confirmed our A.m.m's are mainly of Dutch (and some French) origin.

Brother Adam maintained that the Old British Black Bee was a superior bee than the imported A.m.m's brought into the country to replace them, hence the reason why he tried in vain to locate them up until 1943.

For a self admitted total beginner you imply you also know a heck of a lot about AMM (but that is a matter of opinion) so what are you? beginner? expert? or just another troll?

Knows little....

IF I have said something that you disagree with because you believe it is incorrect, then please present your alternative point of view, and we will enter into a discussion. After your counter claim, I would give more detail on the reasons why I have come to my previously stated conclusion on this matter, and then you will counter my more detailed claims ... and we will both appraise each others evidence and points of view... if neither of us can change the others mind, then the discussion has not been a waste of time, as we will both be more knowledgeable of an alternative point of view.

For example, I think I have received the unpublished papers on DNA research into Cornish DNA (which I would not have received if you had not referenced them in a previous thread), although I am not convinced by them, I am intrigued enough to have spent a couple of hours in the web trying to learn more about "A.m.m. cornish" bees. IF however this research was published (after being peer reviewed?) then I would be very interested in receiving A.m.m. cornish Queens, so you see, even though you haven't directly tried to get me to come over to your point of view - of the uniqueness and better traits of the "Native Cornish Black Bee", I now have a more open mind on the subject and am willing to entertain a very small possibility... that they may be more genetically different than the general A.m.m. in England, and therefore may have different (better you say?) traits!

I'll leave it up to you, IF you think I know little you have an opportunity to educate me (ref. above). My question of where one can buy these Queens is still unanswered however...

IF I have said something that you disagree with because you believe it is incorrect, then please present your alternative point of view, and we will enter into a discussion. After your counter claim, I would give more detail on the reasons why I have come to my previously stated conclusion on this matter, and then you will counter my more detailed claims ... and we will both appraise each others evidence and points of view... if neither of us can change the others mind, then the discussion has not been a waste of time, as we will both be more knowledgeable of an alternative point of view.

For example, I think I have received the unpublished papers on DNA research into Cornish DNA (which I would not have received if you had not referenced them in a previous thread), although I am not convinced by them, I am intrigued enough to have spent a couple of hours in the web trying to learn more about "A.m.m. cornish" bees. IF however this research was published (after being peer reviewed?) then I would be very interested in receiving A.m.m. cornish Queens, so you see, even though you haven't directly tried to get me to come over to your point of view - of the uniqueness and better traits of the "Native Cornish Black Bee", I now have a more open mind on the subject and am willing to entertain a very small possibility... that they may be more genetically different than the general A.m.m. in England, and therefore may have different (better you say?) traits!

I'll leave it up to you, IF you think I know little you have an opportunity to educate me (ref. above). My question of where one can buy these Queens is still unanswered however...

You for one would have benefited greatly from attending last Saturdays B4 conference at the Eden Project in Cornwall where a great deal of fact relating to Amm in the British Isles was presented by the leading Scientists in that field.
The presentations were videoed... except for one presentation that was not really worth recording as it contained very little information of note... The Phd student wishing to retain any of his Intellectual Property that could have been disseminated from it!

Not intending on sending pure Cornish Amm to Eire or Ulster.... would not wish to contaminate any Irish Amm !

Last edited:
There is rather too much weight given to the opinion of an isolated monk in my thoughts.

PH

There is rather too much weight given to the opinion of an isolated monk in my thoughts.

PH

That opinion is based on your familiarity with Amm in Scotland long after IOW i assume.
Have you any reason to believe the Amm you handled were not imported during re-stocking. Its easy enough to find the point tha Amm were wiped out in N.Wales by looking at the rrcords of the Conwy honey show.
There's no question in my mind that much of Scotland was similarly restocked afterwards, even to video evidence of it in Aberdeenshire.

Well just checked in to see how the thread I started was and see what peoples opinions were. Still not much wiser lol the conversation definitely took an interesting turn though!

:ohthedrama:

Latest posts

Back