supers still on

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 + 1 Observation Hive
Ok so i have two hive each with a super on still with the QX on. The hives are full so happy to take supers away the main thing is the QX just incase it so cold and the bees decide to move up there the Q will be left behind. Could i leave hoping they cluster in the brood take off the supers and put crown board ontop of the QX your thought has it happened to you and what did you do
:calmdown:

A dilemma indeed.... the qx should have prevented the queen from going up into the super.

Some find that the qx is a mixed blessing, generally I only used when queen rearing in the first stage of the Cloake board method, I can happily let the queen wander up into the first super, 1/2 brood, or next Rose box, as frames of brood and stores can be moved around.

However just in case your queen excluder did not exclude her.... take out the qx, and either leave the super on top .. or move it below!

Yeghes da

below why, take out queen excluder and put super back on top, why give the bees all the work of moving it up

Just remove the QE I wouldn't take the supers of now as they are probably contaminated with Ivy honey. Just leave the supers on top.
In the spring, if there is any Ivy honey left in the supers remove and store for other uses.
If you do take the supers off they might not have enough stores in brood box.

Just remove the QE I wouldn't take the supers of now as they are probably contaminated with Ivy honey. Just leave the supers on top.
In the spring, if there is any Ivy honey left in the supers remove and store for other uses.
If you do take the supers off they might not have enough stores in brood box.

:iagree:
When I took my supers off there was very little by way of stores in a couple of the hives.
Too late to put supers under. Doing that you expect the bees to move the stores up...too late now

You're waaaaay too late in taking your honey off for extraction, in fact, a bit late for fiddling around period? did you treat your bees at the end of the summer? if apiguard,that, and ivy honey would have seriously tainted it so you may as well leave it on. Take away the queen excluders, leave the supers on top and give them peace for the winter.

Apart from words like 'contaminated' and 'tainted', as regards to ivy honey, I agree completely with the above. Get a good beekeeping book and read it over the winter is a further suggestion.

Dont panic, but be quick.
Whip off the QE, leave them run up into the super.
Run on Brood and 1/2 in spring and sort out when temperatures rise later spring. Take off now before the cold snap due hits over next coupla days. IE: Today , here anyway, would have been ideal out in force in 12 degrees piling in with ;last of Ivy nectar and Pollen.
Should not be even considering faffing around with them, they should be treated and bedded down, next *observation* should be after Xmas to check on stores. Then again dont panic, just rectify quickly :)

thanks for advise more concerned about the stress factor for the bees apposed to the honey :rules:
i was hoping that freezing temp would cause the bees to for tight cluster in the brood box giving me the chance to lift super off quickly hoping no bees will not be up their and just putting a crown board ontop the QX giving less stress for them just a thought

thanks for advise more concerned about the stress factor for the bees apposed to the honey :rules:
i was hoping that freezing temp would cause the bees to for tight cluster in the brood box giving me the chance to lift super off quickly hoping no bees will not be up their and just putting a crown board ontop the QX giving less stress for them just a thought

Any particular reason why you left things too late?

I would remove roof. Leave crown board in place( no holes I hope), crack between QX and super, a little puff of smoke. Lift off super, remove QX, replace super. Bees will hardly know you have been in. Hope you have some insulation on top of CB too. Next year try to plan ahead. It is late for messing with hives, but that QX must come out.

Ok so i have two hive each with a super on still with the QX on. The hives are full so happy to take supers away the main thing is the QX just incase it so cold and the bees decide to move up there the Q will be left behind. Could i leave hoping they cluster in the brood take off the supers and put crown board ontop of the QX your thought has it happened to you and what did you do
:calmdown:
i hold my hands up bad beekeeping

Latest posts

Back