Feeding back old honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hux70

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I have a few jars of old honey that have either set hard,started to crystallize or have started to ferment. Is this ok to feed back to the bees and what would be the best way. I will be leaving 1 super on each hive overwinter but they aren't full yet.
I was thinking nadir first then a feeder ontop of the BB and hop they dont take it down into the super! Any other thoughts.?

Nothing wrong with the set honey, or the crystalised one - why would you want to feed it back? ditch the fermented one or use it for cooking, and why would it be the end of the world if it got into the supers?
Don't wait for them to fill the super before nadiring, do it now - they don't really need a full shallow on top of the stores in the brood box anyway

Thanks for the reply. Im just running out of room for this years harvest and as the hives are a little light it seemed a good idea to give a bit back as I wont eat it all

I am feeding back honey which has set by heating to liquid. Mostly this is extracted from supers that were on during syrup feeding and varroa treatment.

I use English feeders and add some water to it to make it easier for them to process. It gets taken down FAST.

I'm concerned that I could be spreading any foul brood in the honey across the apiary. ? Sugar syrup would be better but don't want to waste the honey.

Tried nadiring supers the other year and they didn't move much of the honey and it was mouldy by spring and was melted down. Wasteful.

I overwinter with a national super on top of a national BB. Brood and a half. The amount of stores is excessive for my bees but I don't worry about any of them starving. Don't need fondant in the New Year.
The way I do things would not be possible for someone with more hives but as a hobbyist it is.

. . . . Ben

Latest posts

Back