Supers still full

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terry jones

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
This is my first winter.
I checked my hive at the weekend and noticed that 90% of last years capped redf store is still present in the super that I had left on.
should I un-cap the stores to encourage them to use it. Most of the store is from sugar solution I gave them late last year therefore i would like them to empty before they start taking in this years nectar.
The hive looks nice and strong with lots of activity in the broob

Last edited:
This is my first winter.
I checked my hive at the weekend and noticed that 90% of last years capped :redface::redface:store is still present in the super that I had left on.
should I un-cap the stores to encourage them to use it. Most of the store is from sugar solution I gave them late last year therefore i would like them to empty before they start taking in this years decter.
The hive looks nice and strong with lots of activity in the broob

IF they are strong, I'd have thought they would access it themselves if they wanted it.

1. too early to have done an inspection.
2. they may need the stores if there is another cold snap.
3. if you uncap it they may move it down and store it where brood should be, limiting build up.

leave them to it....

1. too early to have done an inspection.
2. they may need the stores if there is another cold snap.
3. if you uncap it they may move it down and store it where brood should be, limiting build up.

leave them to it....

:iagree:
nothing to add, it's still winter! we had snow again last weekend!

had snow this morning (spent weekend fleecing 60 fruit trees as blossom starting to think about showing in a few - apricots mostly).

Latest posts

Back