Supers from hive with CBPV ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jules59

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
I had 4 supers on a double brood colony that decided to swarm and did a nuc AS. Shortly after that they developed CBPV whilst going through the re-queening process. I removed all supers (full of OSR honey) and extracted the honey. Their first attempt to re-queen failed. I gave a test frame from which they drew more QCs and they now have a new laying Q. The colony is much diminished in size (Best part of 6 weeks queenless plus CBPV). But they have 7 frames of brood and are clearly recovering well from the CBPV. (OMF floor removed, hive raised etc and regular clearing away for dead bees).

So what to do with the super frames/comb?
I dont really fancy melting down 40 super frames if its unnecessary.
Would you be happy to use them on this colony again as the need demands ?
The bees are on the same double brood boxes and frames and are recovering despite these being potentially a source of re-infection I suppose?
What do people think ?

So what to do with the super frames/comb?
I dont really fancy melting down 40 super frames if its unnecessary.
Would you be happy to use them on this colony again as the need demands ?
I would, never been an issue with me in the past

If the honey is now well and truly set then use it as winter or feed as required.
My colony from last year over wintered well following their CBPV episode last spring but have been pretty dismal on the forage front this year. Thought possibly a re -Q might be best but going from observations at other colonies from the same apiary and another apiary 5 miles away this seems not the issue.
A very wet poor spring this year and now looks like continuing as we approach summer and the longest day (yet another birthday for me) and generally think this year will be a poor crop year for my bees.

Ok thanks for the replies.
I feel happier about re-using the extracted frames/comb now.
FWIW I had a bumper OSR honey harvest but now nothing is coming in and the bees are consuming their "winter" stores already.

Latest posts

Back