Supers and varroa treatments

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just ordered a kilo from APC and they processed the order without needing to sign anything but I cancelled it anyway in case somebody appeared at my door to feel my collar.
I suppose we will all have to find a way round this

A variable regulation: APC on eBay now sell only to those holding a Home Office licence or to a Limited Company with a valid application; Restorate sell to anyone, but state that the product is reportable (effect on retail sale unknown); others sell online to anybody as much as they want (and confuse hygroscopic and hydroscopic in the info).
AGWoodcare among others also quote the same new regulations, all I can do is say what I've seen. Times and attitudes are changing.

I just ordered a kilo from APC and they processed the order without needing to sign anything but I cancelled it anyway in case somebody appeared at my door to feel my collar.
I suppose we will all have to find a way round this
Go back and order a kilo, don't cancel it and wait for the email confirming your order, that's when they want you to explain.
You will receive a reply from Ellen explaining the new legislation brought in by the UK government on Oct 1st 2023. You can proceed with your order if you feel you meet the criteria but will need to provide photographic ID and proof of your address.

Last edited:
more fool you. It has been on the poisons and precursors list for years, another victim of the usual civil service broad brush kneejerk reaction when they can't be bothered to amend every section piecemeal.
The act was reinforced to help monitor people buying precursors for clandestine drug or explosives production, but instead of just ringfencing the chemicals of concern they just piled the whole list in.

Go back and order a kilo
Rang Seamark Nunn and asked about the regs. and the fact that it stated on the tub that acquisition, possession or use by the general public is restricted. Shouldn't be a problem, she said, so I bought a kilo; please visit me in the gulag.

So the Americans and the Europeans both vape with supers on? I wonder why we insist on making things difficult for ourselves here in the UK. Similarly with the necessity to vape apibioxal as opposed to pure OA which seems to be considered fine to use elsewhere too
The UK have a talent for gold plating regulations. It keeps our civil service in employment. (Out of interest have any members here been watching the televised post office inquiry? One can't help wondering what the various members of the monitoring hierarchy were doing throughout their tenure. Did they feel shame when drawing their salaries?

The UK have a talent for gold plating regulations.
in the days when we laboured under the yoke of Europe ( :icon_204-2: ) I remember talking to one of the fisheries inspectors at Newlyn, he told me that both Spain and Portugal had the correct number of inspectors, buuuut just the port of Newlyn alone had more inspectors than the total in those other two countries - we had just manufactured a rod for our own backs.

I wouldn't even think of starting treating until mid to late September. there seems to be a mindset on here to treat earlier nd earlier each season - before long people will be starting their treatments in mid July

from the August beano that dropped through my letter box last week;
Summer in the Apiary
'remove any remaining supers and extract the honey'
'if you treat for varroa start as soon as supers are removed'

from the August beano that dropped through my letter box last week;
Summer in the Apiary
'remove any remaining supers and extract the honey'
'if you treat for varroa start as soon as supers are removed'
Sod that - mine have gone back on for the late harvest this year. If the weather permits there's plenty of local forage still around.

Rang Seamark Nunn and asked about the regs. and the fact that it stated on the tub that acquisition, possession or use by the general public is restricted. Shouldn't be a problem, she said, so I bought a kilo; please visit me in the gulag.
In fairness Eric, my reply was to Dani and ordering with APC pure, you ordered from someone else, which is what I did after I received the email and arranged a refund.
As I said before all I can do is say what I've seen and some suppliers are now applying restrictions.

Why is apibioxal considered ok to use but pure OA not? Is there an additive that makes it safer?

It depends where you are.
Where is The Apiarist?
It may well apply to you but to somebody in the south of England?
I was referring to it making sense in relation to treating when the winter bees are being reared. That would apply to wherever you are based when that time occurs.
The fact that people all have supers on makes no difference to the science, it’s just inconvenient for beekeepers to treat at that time.

Latest posts

Back