Supers and frames cost

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi All

I am sure this has been asked before, but is there a recommended place that is cheap to order supers and assembled frames, or in kit form. They just seem so expensive for what they are from the big suppliers, this beekeeping malarky is getting costly, I'm only trying to save the planet......

Thanks

JD

In the big suppliers sales..............
50 brood frames less than £30, 50 super frames £25, flat pack, make them and add foundation if you use it.
Maisemoore has such a sale next month

Not sure a link will work, search maisemoore apiaries and on their home page they are advertising the sale, click on the link, frames are top right in the advert. Also search the forum for Thornes sale price list.
cheers

You can buy plastic frames. The langstroth ones look good - all in one piece, but can't see national ones like that. Plastic national frames seem to have a folding bit for trapping wax foundation in.

You have to go to their shop on 28/6/14 - it's advertised on their homepage :

HUGE ONE DAY SALE

28th June 2014 9am - 4pm
at our premises only

not too far for you, and the savings are substantial

WOW

Thanks for the tips guys, everyone seems sold out, CwynneJones have no foundation or supers.....Is it always like this this time of year ?

JD

Not sure a link will work, search maisemoore apiaries and on their home page they are advertising the sale, click on the link, frames are top right in the advert. Also search the forum for Thornes sale price list.
cheers

Bought some of Mxxxmores stuff at the recent Convention and had to phone them to ask what the bevelled edge was on the frame mounting ends of the boxes. Seems they have abandoned providing plastic or metal runners and instead machine the runner into the box. Daft idea imho as they will wear unevenly over time with soft cedar so I've planed the risers off. Beware as they don't tell you at the outset.

If you're lucky, they may also have some second quality flatpack supers left

I never buy first quality as the bees are not fussy and WJs seconds are very good anyway - and you can pick and choose when buying from this very friendly family if you can spare the time to go there. In fact the bulk of their stock by a huge margin are seconds - just a small bay for firsts that don't move much even by the wealthier members of the beeking fraternity.

Seems they have abandoned providing plastic or metal runners and instead machine the runner into the box. Daft idea imho as they will wear unevenly over time with soft cedar so I've planed the risers off. Beware as they don't tell you at the outset.

:iagree: - I plane them off and use metal runners in the brood box but find they're fine in the supers - I use castellations so the bevel means the frames rest on that, rather than a flimsy castellation - but the castellations will stop any wear.
Now, I tend to buy big T's broods and Maisies supers - hence also spreading my custom around (foundation, runners and castellations from CWJ!)

WOW

Thanks for the tips guys, everyone seems sold out, CwynneJones have no foundation or supers.....Is it always like this this time of year ?

JD

Can be...........this year has been exceptional as the bees have built up very quickly, swarmed and made honey...............resulted in a lot of people needing more equipment.
Even T's have been caught cold.
It pays to carry a few frames in stock from the winter sales.:spy:

apparently just a wicked rumour (Gill was on here the other day putting us right) I got my T's order in at the beginning of the year!

3 weeks quoted delivery.......... due to being cleared out with high demand.
this was for a high end specific cedar item.
Also wanted to do a wax exchange, rang to preorder and was told couldnt have all that as they were working till 8 and still couldnt make enough.
Got foundation now.

Fragile Planet do ply hive parts at reasonable prices. We ordered a complete hive (brood box, 3 supers, frames dn4 /sn4, foundation, Queen excluder, roof and a ply crown board)for £145 inc p&p. it's all flat packed but it will keepMr Webmuppet quiet for hours! They do the various components too.

Latest posts

Back