Superbees ??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it was anywhere else other than a beekeeping forum,i would tend to agree with you Doc, but yes,i think its only you, LOL.

You need to know about heredity, divisions of the cells, hybridisation, and the rule of dominance to mention a few aspects.
Regards;

Hum... Some traits are inherited more easily than others. One classic trait that is readily inherited and lots of people select for is docilty.

You don't need to know how the above works to be able to select for docile bees!

Have any of you members read the following?

Elements of genetics with special reference to the Bee. by J. Mesquida

If this is read then you will see that producing what you require in your bees characteristics is a long process. You need to know about heredity, divisions of the cells, hybridisation, and the rule of dominance to mention a few aspects.

Regards;

BCrazy

You may also like Bee Genetics and Breeding by Rinderer, if you havent already read it.

Mark

BCrazy

You may also like Bee Genetics and Breeding by Rinderer, if you havent already read it.

Mark

... Should keep you occupied for a few hours!

It seems to me that the amateur beekeeper is principally interested in only three characteristics .....

1. prolific egg laying by the queen

2. good tempered docile bees

3. low tendency to swarm

Therefore, what is wrong with culling queens who fail on these criteria. Isn't that about all the hobbyist needs ?

I suggest raising queens, say 10 at a time and keeping only the best two or three.

Hi JCBrum

In that case may I place an order for your scrub queens for dissection purposes?
Send them live in a match box and then I can kill a couple first off and preserve the rest.

Regards;

ok BC, when I start rearing I'll send you some. I'm going on a day course next week to see and learn more about it, but it may be a bit late for this year.

I was hoping to have been set up by now but I had a busy spell during August and couldn't get organized in time for this season really.

JC. :)

Thank you JC I really appreciate that.

Regards;

There is absolutely not evidence to sugges that Bcrazy is a closet matchbox collector.

His postman is the one with the puzzled look. :) :cheers2:

Damm you Hombre you have now told all and sundry my secrete passion.

So now I will have to look for another hobby where I can (match) box clever.

I never know what might bee in a box but that's the whole enjoyment of it, I just don't know (period).

Nice one!

Regards;

Hi Mo,bet you had to comb through your memory banks to find that response :)

John

John I don't need to comb through my merory banks because;

My genotype was formed from a gamete with DNA of a certain type.

Therefore I am not diploid but from a F1 generation.

My thinking behavioural characteristics are formed from an allele.

So my genome is what I am.

Does this make me a super bee?

Regards;

I don't understand I'm quarter Irish and 3 quarters Rubbish :svengo:.

John. Wilkinson

Seriously though, as if we weren´t all serious already! Matchboxes are becoming less common these days, so what else is commonly/desireably used for sending bee samples through the post these days?
Besides the carefully folded tenner of course.

Tic-tac boxes, .......

My bee mentor said to me " If you're gonna do queen rearing, young John, you gotta get your tactics right .... "

Unfortunately I mis-heard him and bought a small box of peppermints instead ..... ;)

Tic-tac boxes, .......

My bee mentor said to me " If you're gonna do queen rearing, young John, you gotta get your tactics right .... "

Unfortunately I mis-heard him and bought a small box of peppermints instead ..... ;)
Good idea in theory but maybe a packet of silica_gel should be slipped in with the bee sample?, impermeable packaging causes the dead bees to quickly de-grade thus making them unsuitable !.

John Wilkinson

Matchboxes are becoming less common these days, so what else is commonly/desireably used for sending bee samples through the post these days?[/QUOTE
Any organisation with a large stationery cupboard should be able to provide empty boxes in which markers are supplied. I find they are an ideal size for comb and bee samples.

Latest posts

Back