Super Frames with Some Crystallised Honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
4 Hives
I was very late extracting some of my supers last year, some extracted okay, but some has extracted and left crystals in the cells. The supers were taken off at the end of July, so its not Ivy honey. Will the bees clean the crystals out or are they just going to be left in the cells reducing the capacity of the super frames and maybe encouraging this years honey to crystallise in the frames ?
Am I better off not using these and putting in foundation instead?
Thanks

Thank you Dani, the cells are already uncapped, they just didn't fully extract, where the honey started to crystallise in the frame, around the surfaces of the cells, I will spray them with water as suggested. :)

Thank you Dani, the cells are already uncapped, they just didn't fully extract, where the honey started to crystallise in the frame, around the surfaces of the cells, I will spray them with water as suggested. :)
Just give it a spray with warm(ish) water when you put it back on and they will clearn it up ...

Back