Super frames post OSR crystalization

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YorkshireBees

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
10-20 (mix of poly / wood)
Having extracted most of my OSR crop I found I have several frames where some cells have crystallized honey in.

I wondered what the best way to clean these frames is.

Normally I would just put the supers back on the hives and let the bees sort them out but I wondered if the bees will re-dissolve the crystallized honey or just fill cells round it?

I think I remember reading that a spray on the combs with sugar syrup would help in removing the crystalised honey.

Having extracted most of my OSR crop I found I have several frames where some cells have crystallized honey in.

I wondered what the best way to clean these frames is.

Normally I would just put the supers back on the hives and let the bees sort them out but I wondered if the bees will re-dissolve the crystallized honey or just fill cells round it?

Stick them back on during the June gap (thats now in my area) and the bees will do all the cleaning for you giving them some benefit at the same time.
Sometimes if you put partially crystalised supers back on during a heavy flow the bees will just fill up on top letting the old crystalised honey seed crystalization in the new honey, but not often.

Latest posts

Back