Suit advice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dadnlad

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
A few and some more
Hi all, I've long since been interested in keeping bees but not had the time or opportunity before. I've happily accepted the offer from an experienced beekeeper to site a collected swarm on my allotment, so that I might observe close up and get some hands on experience

I now find myself plunged into the world of protective clothing :eek:

Some questions that have arisen so far are - do some manufacturers use thicker quality material ? Full suit for greater protection and beginner confidence or just a jacket ? Do you get more for your money with the more expensive options ? Round hat or fencing visor ?

Obviously I'd like to get something that will last more than 5 minutes so steering clear of Ebay, any recommendations from you proper beekeepers would be gratefully received not worthy

Don't buy cheap (been there done that), got a bb lightweight suit and love it came with free gloves.

for close up observation, ie sitting 2ft away and watching, no suit required
but yes, buy cheap,get cheap

lol my father in law got stung last week 20ft away, buy the best you can afford 2 top brands on the market BB and sheriff, veil type is preferential, I like the round hat as I find it cooler in the summer and the veil is not so close to my face, lightweights have less protection than heavy weights

Don't spend a lot of money as a beginner. You may not like beekeeping : is my advice.

If you get pleasant docile bees instead of the aggressive ones many tolerate, a top with veil is all that is needed.

(I come from the "spend as little consistent with doing the job right" school. Many newbies can spend £500 to start up: crazy in my view. And buy clothes and hives that will last 30 years for a hobby which can be abandoned after one year)

Dressing up looking like you are about to enter a nuclear reactor is no fun on hot days. And attracts the attention of undesirables.

My advice as "newbie" would be buy what makes you feel comfortable / protected. If you are not so sure about what you are buying inevitably your confidence will suffer.

Also have you cleared it with the allotment society, especially neighbouring plot holders, its very easy to get yourself in a real bind on an allotment site with bees and neighbours as many have found to their cost.

Hi -- I'm very 'frugal' (tight as a duck's proverbial, according to my ever-decreasing band of friends) but I have to agree that it's worth buying good quality protective clothing.

I started 3 years ago and just in case I didn't like it, I bought a cheaper 'smock' rather than the full suit. Quite quickly I found my suit inhabited by friends of the stinging variety, because the 'seal' around my middle was not as good as it could have been. Suddenly I find I am more allergic to bee stings than I would like and so I rapidly invested in a full suit from one of the more expensive range (who shot the "Sh...") and the guy who taught me claims his has lasted over 30 years and that it's the quality of the zips that counts. This has given me much more confidence and I think I'm a better bee keeper because of it -- it helps remove some of the fear of a newbie!

Just my personal view -- of course if some of the cheaper makes are just as good (or nearly as good) then don't waste too much money! But how would we know? Has anyone else noticed that there are no good comparative equipment reviews in the bee press? Why would that be? Wouldn't it be useful?

It will help your confidence to get a full suit- it will knock your confidence if bees find their way up into your bee jacket.

Are you feeling lucky?:biggrinjester:

It will help your confidence to get a full suit- it will knock your confidence if bees find their way up into your bee jacket.
:iagree:
But to start it doesn't need to be expensive - I'm still pleased with the value I got for under £50 from Modern Beek-ing during one of their occasional offers.

That said, I have a "visitor smock" (hat, veil & pullover all in one - no zips, simples) in very lightweight material, which cost me about £5 from an eBay seller, that gets more hours of wear than the full suit because its so simple to get on and off for non-threatening tasks. (My bees are pretty laid back, but I don't like them in my hair and beard!)

just as a heads up, my mrs is a seamstress, mostly working on motorbike leathers, but replacing zips easy peasey, anyone ever need zips replacing, give us a shout

for close up observation, ie sitting 2ft away and watching, no suit required
but yes, buy cheap,get cheap

Umm - I think my visitor last week may disagree. If the bees are feeling grumpy - watch out even with a full suit !!!:eek:

Hi all, I've long since been interested in keeping bees but not had the time or opportunity before. I've happily accepted the offer from an experienced beekeeper to site a collected swarm on my allotment, so that I might observe close up and get some hands on experience

I now find myself plunged into the world of protective clothing :eek:

Some questions that have arisen so far are - do some manufacturers use thicker quality material ? Full suit for greater protection and beginner confidence or just a jacket ? Do you get more for your money with the more expensive options ? Round hat or fencing visor ?

Obviously I'd like to get something that will last more than 5 minutes so steering clear of Ebay, any recommendations from you proper beekeepers would be gratefully received not worthy

General consensus appears to be see before you buy - however that's not always possible. My most used kit is a 'Farmer veil' and a zip up boiler suit both from EB*Y.

HTH

If your suit is cheap, or you buy veil or jacket only, one day a bee will crawl in or sting you through it. It only needs one sting up your nose for you to lose confidence quickly so my advice is go bomb proof to build your confidence. Full suit, hat that keeps your veil off your face and neck. Be confident and you will handle bees better. Better you handle them better they will be to you!

:iagree::iagree: In a nutshell!

Had 5 creep up the back of a jacket once- stings on scalp hurt:eek:...Suited and booted now - and you will handle bees gently and more slowly (better for them) if you are happy.

My €35 fencing hood full suit has done me fine for the first few years but is requiring more and more re-sewing of some seams, and gaffa tape where the hood zips meet at the throat, so a brand-new BrandTM-name suit is on my list to Santa this xmas.

I started with a jacket with 'fencing' veil. I found though that earlier this year my gentle bees of last year changed and they took a dislike to some(most) trousers!
I bought a biscuit coloured, 'fencing' veil, BB suit and I'm really pleased with it even now my bees are gentle again.
The colour is less noticeable than white and the veil is attached in such a way that it is kept well away from your face so no chance of stings. (I had to wear a baseball cap with the jacket to keep the veil in place, not a good design but had been cheap)
Money well spent on the suit for the confidence it has given back to me.

When I started 3 years ago I bought a cheap suit from the local club for about £45. It was OK at first but the seams started to go and then the zips. I realized the hood zip had gone when I was dealing with a particularly fizzy colony and 3 climbed in through the tiny gap and stung my neck.

The next season I bought a BB XXXX suit. THe old suit was 100% cotton and I was surprised when looking at better qulaity stuff that the material had a high polyester content. Puzzled I bought one anyway. What I have found is the the bees can't get a grip on the more dense polycotton suit (or find it harder at least) and it was been pretty bomb proof this year. It was more pockets and cleans up better than the cheapo suit.

If you can, borrow a suit for a few occasions until you know you are happy with handling frames of bees. Then buy a decent suit; it will give you confidence and you could always sell it again for a decent price on this forum.

Sean
PS as a beginner, always wear wellies, long trousers and long sleived top! One bee will always find the weekness in your armour.

Don't forget that it must feel comfortable. You'll not want to be wearing something that's ill fitting, be it too tight or too loose. Also ensure that it's not too hot and heavy. If it doesn't feel good to wear, you'll not want to wear it, and so lose your interest in your bees.

always buy a suit at least one size too big for you (so you can comfortably wear several layers under the suit if you need to inspect / deal with vicious colonies)
and I prefer the round hat stylie, much cooler, and better protection for the ears.

and if a breezy day- wear a baseball cap under to stop the veil drifting against your face- holds the whole suit hat more securely

Latest posts

Back