Suit advice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find that a round hat type gives me better vision and also installs confidence as it keeps bees away from your face.

The only thing I have found with a round hat type is that it can blow off to the side in high wind which puts your face against the netting. But this can also happen with fencing type in that a good wind will blow it against your face.

Having got both I am sticking with the round hat.

I seemed to have lucked out in that i got mine from e -ba* and they have been fine.

Hello, I have a cheap suit that the zip has failed and would like the zip replaced to have as a spare - would you contact me please as I can't you because my post count is too low. 0797 453 7697

BB Wear are excellent, big tip is to make sure there are NO and I mean NOspaces anywhere for the bees to get inside the suit. Particularly check where the zip at the front and the hood meet, my BB has Velcro to make doubly sure it is BEE tight!

By the way Ratcatcher, I hope you asked your wife first before offering her zip replacement services!!!!

Anyone else find that different veil types give different results in terms of vision. I have a couple of different types and can focus better through some veils than others.

Another point worth considering if you have a chance to try on (like at spring convention)

Good point jackbee, where are all the BEE supplies shops?
My wife and I went to one near Greenwich because we were visiting relations in Essex, the place was excellent, "PARK". Godfrey the owner and Laurence, his assistant were very helpful. Sadly not enough of these places around.
Like most things, it's better to see and try before you buy.

Hi Tony, I am sure they are good but not near Kings Lynn I'll wager!
Think you are thinking near to Norwich.

Miles away, as I said Tony, near Norwich over 60 miles from me.
Helen actually did come along to our AGM, stockist for that well known Thorny company.
Only other is in Wragby 70 miles 'tother way.
Wish there were some local.

Still over 50 miles Tony, keep trying, I hope between us we can reduce the distance!

E1M
Oh go on then, you can buy some stuff from me, about 2 miles away, our bees overlap. :drool5:

Pete D

Hi Pete,

Thanks so much for getting me out of bed this morning, seriously, thanks for your help on the phone and coming round here this morning, I will tell you about what has happened later. Suffice to say, no Queen, also no need for nuc box as there were so few bees in the super anyway when we opened it up.
Newspaper had already been chewed a bit, so not sure if they had already gone down into the brood box.
What are you selling? Brood boxes, supers?

Hi Iain,
no problem about this morning, happy to help where I can.
Not really selling anything, but could do as seem to have acquired plenty, including bees !
Seriously if you need any kit it may be worth giving me a call before you rush off 50 + miles.
I should keep the Nuc till the end of the week as with this weather they could up sticks at anytime.

regards
Pete

Ok Pete, will do, glad to have you so near and we promise not to become pests.
Will bring your Nuc back in a few days then.
Thanks again.
Iain

Ok Pete, will do, glad to have you so near and we promise not to become pests.
Will bring your Nuc back in a few days then.
Thanks again.
Iain[/QUOTE]

Dont worry Iain, I wont let you. :D

I am very happy to help and advise and loan equipment and you are welcome at mine whenever you like to join me for inspections etc (cant gaurantee cake) but as I have told a chap that lives half way between us I wont do his beekeeping for him :)beatdeadhorse5:) unless I think the bees are at risk of dying out (lack of food or treatment) or I think mine are at risk from disease from his.

Good luck and enjoy.
Pete D

Perfect example of how the forum can work - well done guys :party:

That's the benefit of joining the Local Bee Keepers Association.
So far, everyone has been helpful, especially Pete.

Wow - I wasn't expecting so many replies - thanks everyone

I've read through your replies and agree I should go for the full suit option until I've built up enough confidence handling bees for a jacket

BB Wear Retro suit seems to be £100

Could anyone tell me if the Full Suit Round Hat at 'TheBeeShop' (£47) compares well ?
Alternatively 'Bee Proof Suits' do a 100% cotton full suit (£50) ?

Has anybody had any experience with either of these or am I missing something please ?

after leaving a post on the first page, quoting buy cheap get cheap, Im going to eat my words
my passage into beekeeping has always been with the "bee's on a budget" idea.

so, I purchased a full suit/fencing type veil from a supplier on evil bay, cost inc postage £40
It arrived this morning, 3 days after placing order, comes in its own little (well made) carry bag, Im very very impressed with its quality, elastics for thumbs, and also elastic styrup's for feet, not seen on other suits, Ive not used the fencing style before, my half smock has the round type hat, which I liked as it keeps material away from back of head, where as the fencing type rests on head, but wearing a baseball cap as well will solve this
don't know if were allowed to provide links, so if you want to look at them, send me a pm and I'll supply the link

Latest posts

Back