Sugar Tax??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... this move is all smoke & mirrors - it is about raising money, not combating obesity.

Jamie Oliver has been pushing the concept of healthy eating for kids. Kids drink loads of fizzy drinks laced with copious amounts of sugar and this helps to make them overweight. Jamie recruited a couple of Tory MPs to lobby for the sugar tax on soft drinks.

For the government, it's a win-win situation - if people carry on drinking sugary drinks, the Treasury gets loads of money, if the manufacturers change their formulations and reduce sugar, people who drink soft drinks are healthier. What's not to like?

CVB

Obesity is not down to sugar alone and certainly not just fizzy drinks, we had pop when I was a kid.
To achieve targets in school, physical education has suffered as a result and kids don't go out to play because every other adult out there is a paedophile. Wonderful technology has created a virtual world so kids are just sitting around like spectators. Set meal times have gone out the window because mam and dad are working silly shift patterns so food has to fit in and be convenient, which generally means processed.
It's life in the 21st century as much as anything else and the chancellor is just a muppet

all the media hype centres on sugary drinks, but what about bags of sugar, fondant and products like inverted sugar syrup?

I'm not too keen on eating any of them myself, although do like a spoon of Golden syrup on my porridge in the winter!

And who, Other than some lardy layabout (sat on the sofa on benefits) can get to the bottom of a 3ltr bottle of the Yanks best beverage before it goes flat?:cheers2:

Last edited:
all the media hype centres on sugary drinks, but what about bags of sugar, fondant and products like inverted sugar syrup?

I'm not too keen on eating any of them myself,

:iagree:
although I have to lock up the bee shed to stop my little niece sneaking in and tucking in to a slab of fondant washed down with a pint of Belgosuc (at least it's thymolised so she doesn't get the sh!ts very often :D)

Obesity is not down to sugar alone and certainly not just fizzy drinks, we had pop when I was a kid.
I've just watched, on the TV news, a young woman shopping. When it was pointed out to her that the "healthy" soup she was putting in her trolley had 10 teaspoons of sugar per serving she was aghast but almost in the next breath she said that manufacturers and the government should do something about the stuff that goes in our food. I'm shouting. "Look at the label, for heaven's sake!"

taxing sugary drinks is only half a step from taxing sugary foods.

Honey is one of the items demonised by Jamie Oliver and friends

Last edited:
30% of the UK population are projected to suffer from diabetes , largely brought on by too much sugar..

The Chancellor has to find teh money to fund the NHS to treat them..

Well the chancellor won't fund the NHS if he can get away with. He and his ilk don't use it. As soon as he can - he will just privatise it. Its already happening to the schools.

taxing sugary drinks is only half a step from taxing sugary foods.

Honey is one of the items demonised by Jamie Oliver and friends

So we all could be at the forefront of a 21st century bootlegging operation?

:grouphug:

Those in the South could have secret meetings at Jamaica Inn, Midlands, Rum Runners in Brum?????

Wales?? Maybe use specially trained homing-sheep? JBM??

Last edited:
So will they be taxing it North of the boarder as well?? I imagine they'll want to protect that stuff made from "girders" :scotland-flag:

Or will we all be going on Pop runs to Glasgow like they did to Calais in the late 80s??

Huge factory in Milton Keynes make most of the girder drink.

One aim behind the tax on sugary drinks is to persuade the manufacturers to add less sugar to their drinks, so making their drink more competitive by putting it in a lower sugar tax bracket.
If they do that, the price won't go up and everyone will benefit.

and the oodles of tax money gong to fund all these school projects will be virtually non existent. Smoke and mirrors again.But I'm sure a big chunk of the great unwashed will think it's great.

Latest posts

Back