Sugar Tax??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do not put Iron Bru on your bees... use Vimto ( Extra sugar non diet version)

At least the Fastbuck Abbey tipple has avoided increase in taxation!

Yeghes da

One aim behind the tax on sugary drinks is to persuade the manufacturers to add less sugar to their drinks, so making their drink more competitive by putting it in a lower sugar tax bracket.
If they do that, the price won't go up and everyone will benefit.

It's a fallacy, you can already buy zero sugar soft drinks.

This measure will have very little impact. I know campaigner use the Mexico example where they had a 12% drop in consumption after taxing these drinks, but that's unlikely to happen in the UK because we're richer.

This does nothing to address other high fat food and drinks.

If Osborne really wanted to have an impact on childhood obesity he'd stop schools selling: sweets, cakes, high fat foods and all the other junk they currently sell in schools. Studies have shown that changing school day diets has a positive outcome for children.

If Osborne really wanted to have an impact on childhood obesity he'd stop schools selling: sweets, cakes, high fat foods and all the other junk they currently sell in schools. Studies have shown that changing school day diets has a positive outcome for children.

I know a school chef and he's only allowed to do chips once a week as part of the fried food quota - and every meal has to meet high criteria for nutrition.

The days of pizza and chips every day at school are long gone. At his anyway.

It's a fallacy, you can already buy zero sugar soft drinks.

This measure will have very little impact. I know campaigner use the Mexico example where they had a 12% drop in consumption after taxing these drinks, but that's unlikely to happen in the UK because we're richer.

This does nothing to address other high fat food and drinks.

Apparently some parents deliver takeaways through the school fence :)
Coercion only works up to a point. :ohthedrama::beatdeadhorse5:

Apparently some parents deliver takeaways through the school fence :)
. :

That would be parents who are not at work then?????

Parents unable to prepare a packed lunch?

Perhaps delivering them whilst still in pyjamas/onesie??
:smilie_bett:

Chardonay & Tyrone must have their "Microwave meal of choice" to be eaten during TV/Internet study?

Am I drawing a picture here?

The days of pizza and chips every day at school are long gone.

But there is always the tuck shop/vending machines selling sweets, crisps and other rubbish. And possibly the odd apple to be fair.

The problem is complex and involves vested interests of big business, poverty ( a lot of cheap food is basically carp) , ill-educated parents and a human physiology designed to be permanently on the a brink of starvation.
Bandying stereotypes around isn't going to help.
Education, thought through policies, joined up government action might start to make a difference. But that would take money and/or a desire to improve the lot of ordinary people.
So that's not going to happen any time soon.

I know a school chef and he's only allowed to do chips once a week as part of the fried food quota - and every meal has to meet high criteria for nutrition.

The days of pizza and chips every day at school are long gone. At his anyway.

At his, I visit schools and the ones I've been to sell cookies, chips, etc.

I see my own kids spending at school on his pay account and he eats some awful junk that I don't have in the house.

Jamie oliver is happy maybe he could make better policing and getting the fat kids off their playstations his next cause.

maybe get them riding a bike to generate the power for the tv

Jamie oliver is happy maybe he could make better policing and getting the fat kids off their playstations his next cause.

Or sat on their backsides in front of the TV watching trendy crap cookery programmes hosted by dribbling 'celebrity' chefs

Or sat on their backsides in front of the TV watching trendy crap cookery programmes hosted by dribbling 'celebrity' chefs

When I was a kid at school about 100 years ago, I used - along with others- to buy stodgy icing covered cakes at 11am break. Every day. I was never fat.

The fact that I cycled 4 miles to school and 4 miles back every day and my schoolmates almost all walked is the major difference. Today the little darlings will be delivered to school by bus, car or 4x4.

Sugar is not the key issue: it is lack of exercise...

It's not what you watch on TV,

Sweets & Pop were always available. MY Generation had parents & Grandparents who had been through sugar rationing and therefore gave sugar on everything.

Yorkshire pudding dipped in Sugar,
Sticks of Rhubarb dipped. . . .
Eating Raw Cake-mix, licking the spoon etc

We then went out & burnt it off.

It's how long they spend on their already Fat backsides (with excuses like my knees hurt if I don't sit down) that counts.

If most of us had to carry a rucksack through our day, with the extra pounds to put us at the same all-up weight we'd need to be taking on more calories just to carry it.

And we'd be suffering the skeletal complaints, Knees/ankles, feet etc :nopity:

Last edited:
The fact that I cycled 4 miles to school and 4 miles back every day and my schoolmates almost all walked is the major difference. Today the little darlings will be delivered to school by bus, car or 4x4.

We all used to (or had to) walk - the only kids who didn't were Margo, Henry and his sister (and maybe one or two others) who lived right out of the way on the edge of the mountain who were brought in by hired vehicle paid for by the school - all crammed into an old Moggie Minor supplied by a local garage :D
Oh, and the English family who'd moved into a smallholding not that far away who were brought in by mumsie in their landrover 109 station wagon.

Huge factory in Milton Keynes make most of the girder drink.

OK so, in a moment of weakness today, I treated myself to a small bottle of the girder drink.

Fresh from the fridge at the petrol station.

Thoughts of days gone by looking out across the sun-drenched fields took me back to 1976 as the shhh of the opening top was followed by the long remembered & familiar delicious smell. Pointing the car in the direction required I lifted the bottle to my lips feeling relaxed casting my relaxed mind back to an innocent child hood.

yeauch!!!!!!!!!:puke:

They've changed the recipe!

Gone the same way as Golden Nuggets (which now taste like cardboard)!

Latest posts

Back