Sugar Sugar !

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See the BBKA have released yet another rash dictum to confuse the sugar feeders over winter!
surely 60% or what used to bee called 2:1 mix (cos it was 2Lb white granulated to 1 Pint water).... but actually 61.5%...... would more easily bee calculated by going back to Rothamsted's formula in MKS measurements as

600g of sugar dissolved in 1000ml water ( 0.6 Kg in 1 Litre water)

60% wv is the answer... whatever that is !

:icon_204-2:

As pointed out several posts ago, the percentage is not what you thought it was.

It means 60% of the total syrup weight is sugar.
NOT that the sugar quantity is 60% of the water quantity.

And your 61% is indeed old fashioned, mixed units, 2:1
Or 1600g (not 600g) sugar mixed with a litre of water.

End of. (Please)

So what ratio would 1 pint of water to 1 pint of sugar be

so what specific gravity should my hydrometer be reading when the sugar is dissolved?
:ohthedrama:

Funnily enough,last winter I discovered (I'm surely not the first) that 1lb of granulated sugar is almost exactly a pint in volume......

Last edited:
All calculations are flawed, nobody considered evaporation during the mixing processes. :judge:

All calculations are flawed, nobody considered evaporation during the mixing processes. :judge:

AND what about the volumetric change to the sucrose crystals as they bond with water?

can someone out there who actually knows give us the concise weights of sugar to water to give a 60% solution... as i for sure are now well and truly confused!
bee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smillie

There is a long tradition of trying to make explanations of cricket to foreigners as unhelpful as possible.
Much of this thread seems to be in that noble tradition.

Cricket is simple when one side is in the other is out and when one side is all out the other wins,,, unless they were all out.... when the other side was in!!!
Then it rains and we all go in for tea!

to mix 2 kg sugar and 1 kg water is very difficult, almost impossible.

Much more easier is to mix 600 kg sugar and 300 kg water. Because beginners does not do that.

Hands up who is able to mix these moles (without mixing the whole kitchen)

Banana Layer Cake

2 3/4 cups - all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon - baking powder
3/4 teaspoon - baking soda
1/2 teaspoon - salt
1 cup - butter or margarine, softened
2 1/4 cups - Domino® Brownulated® Sugar
3 - eggs
1 1/2 cups - mashed, ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
3/4 cup - milk
1 1/2 teaspoons - vanilla

And UK morning porriage

Ingredients

Serves : 2
90g quick oats
250ml water
250ml milk
1 pinch salt
1 tablespoon caster sugar
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

AND what about the volumetric change to the sucrose crystals as they bond with water?

can someone out there who actually knows give us the concise weights of sugar to water to give a 60% solution... as i for sure are now well and truly confused!
bee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smillie

I can give you the weight and volume for a 3.2 molar solution

I know only that if we make 1:1 syrup, 1 kg water +1 kg sugar = 1,6 litre

Honey density is 1.4 . Moisture is about 17%.

I can give you the weight and volume for a 3.2 molar solution

Who cares the bees don't. The weight of water will surely depend on the amount of oxygen in it.
One pint to one pound works and so does two given the right temperatures. Why complicate things? Use a pint jug or mug or even a beer glass, though a tankard would be easier, to measure.
The EU can make their own lives complicated if they like but my kitchen is my kitchen and the bees will never complain they just vote with their feet. Mine seem happy enough.

Who cares the bees don't. The weight of water will surely depend on the amount of oxygen in it.
One pint to one pound works and so does two given the right temperatures. Why complicate things? Use a pint jug or mug or even a beer glass, though a tankard would be easier, to measure.
The EU can make their own lives complicated if they like but my kitchen is my kitchen and the bees will never complain they just vote with their feet. Mine seem happy enough.

I learned my my moles over 40 years ago and still use them for mixing fertilizer solutions
its less ambigous than perecentages.

Add a bag and a half or so of sugar (1.5kg?) to an empty, clean, 2 litre plastic milk container. Fill almost full with hot water. Make a cup of tea while you have the kettle boiled. Put the lid on the milk container and shake occasionally until sugar is disolved. Cool. Add the correct amount of HiveMakers Thymol mix (see Sticky Posts) Put into a contact feeder and onto the feed hole.
Not so scientific, apart from the Thymol, but the bees have yet to complain!
Fhadhb ar bith!

Latest posts

Back