Sugar Sugar !

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Autumn feeding: 3 x 1kg bags of sugar mixed with one 1.5 litre electric kettle full of hot water.
Spring feeding: 3 bags of sugar mixed with two kettles of hot water.
Why make it complicated?

Autumn feeding: 3 x 1kg bags of sugar mixed with one 1.5 litre electric kettle full of hot water.
Spring feeding: 3 bags of sugar mixed with two kettles of hot water.
Why make it complicated?

You are on the right lines, but the problem is that "2:1" as a standard doesn't refer to metric units!
It actually refers to those quaint and unrelated-to-eachother units, pints and pounds.

If you were to put your "metric 2:1" in a contact feeder, the bees' feeding would soon be blocked with a layer of sugar crystals!

If you want to make up the "2:1" mix that Hooper and others are talking about and you insist on using modern units that would puzzle Hooper, then your metric mix needs to be 1.6:1 ...

There is a long tradition of trying to make explanations of cricket to foreigners as unhelpful as possible.
Much of this thread seems to be in that noble tradition.

It really is simple.
2:1 and 1:1 refer to using different units for the two ingredients, water and sugar - pints and pounds.
However those same strengths are 1.6:1 and 0.8:1 when you do the rational thing and use the same (metric) measurement units for both ingredients.

Initially, I had thought that Icanhopit (a forum member in good standing) had just made a typo. But it seems that he was actually confused by relating a percentage to the wrong thing - and was spreading that confusion.
I should have realised that many others were also confused about something that is actually pretty simple.
Some people probably should not consider making up Oxalic Acid solutions ... :)

Initially, I had thought that Icanhopit (a forum member in good standing) had just made a typo. But it seems that he was actually confused by relating a percentage to the wrong thing - and was spreading that confusion.
I should have realised that many others were also confused about something that is actually pretty simple.
Some people probably should not consider making up Oxalic Acid solutions ...
[

/B]

Not me 'guvnor... was the lady wot wrote in the BBKA News magazine this month .. August 2013..... Winter Feeding by Bridget Beattie NDB... with confisin' stuff about fluid ounces and pints and Lbs and other mid 19th Century terms..... all in all not a bad rag for a little more than £2 3s 3d an

issue!...

Some people probably should not consider making up Oxalic Acid solutions

NOW ...That's why I VAPORISE!!!!!!

... pity nobody proof reads it for misleading facts.

Would not the OA sublimate if the hive was adequately ventilated?

The partial pressure of a constiuent gas as a proportion of the total pressure of a gas mixture tells you the proportion of the gas in question compared to the total gas mixture.
Thus if the partial pressure of oxalic acid was 10 Kilo pascals you would know it was 10% of the gas mixture at 100 Kilo pascals. if the partial pressure was 100 Kpa and the total pressure was 100Kpa then the gas is pure oxalic acid.

Now you've done it!

My choice is 2k sugar to 1 litre of water. But that's only one of many permutations.

And people get all passionate and scientific about it.

The bees, meanwhile, just get on with what's at hand.........

Dusty

In a 2:1 mix is it 2 pints of sugar to 1 pint of water, or 2lb of sugar to 1lb of water?

What happened to the 20 fluid ounces.... is that a pint?

Metric is easiest as 1kg of water weighs 1kg

60% wv is the answer... whatever that is !

:icon_204-2:

I'm simple like Dusty.

1 litre +1KG sugar.

Who cares if I'm 10% out? The bees appear not to, I don't measure accurately as I measure water by eye in a jug.

The BBKA article to me was just about 1 and 3/4 pages too long.:paparazzi:

So I take Imperial is no good as one LB of water doesn't weigh 1 Lb?

Water

1pt = 1.25Lb = 20oz = 0.57 Lt

1Gl = 10Lb

16 oz = 1Lb

1000g = 1Kg = 2.2Lb

1000ml = 1Lt = 1Kg = 1.76pt = 35f oz

1.6:1 0.8:1 sounds about right I aint goint to do the maths . as said before at 2:1 metric you get crystalised sugar left in feeder.

personally i go 1.5:1 and 1:1 metric and let the bees sort it out.

I wouldn't consider 2 to 1 syrup in a contact feeder ! Strictly for use in either rapid or frame feeder!
2lbs sugar to 1pint of water is mixing weight with volume and skewing the figures but what the hell? The bees don't give a damn!
VM

Water

1pt = 1.25Lb = 20oz = 0.57 Lt

1Gl = 10Lb

16 oz = 1Lb

1000g = 1Kg = 2.2Lb

1000ml = 1Lt = 1Kg = 1.76pt = 35f oz

1.6:1 0.8:1 sounds about right I aint goint to do the maths . as said before at 2:1 metric you get crystalised sugar left in feeder.

personally i go 1.5:1 and 1:1 metric and let the bees sort it out.

No one can it go over that achievement!!! WOW

One way is that you put a bucket full of sugar, then you pour into it boiling hot water to the level of sugar.
It will be 1:2 syrup.

Latest posts

Back