sugar cost and when to buy

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When taking time into consideration, invert is a better option IMHO.
Even with just a few garden hives I won't go back to sugar syrup ... invert is brilliant, keeps without crystallising, they will take it down in almost any weather and it saves hours of stirring, heating, decanting and wife-annoying - plus - she never sees it arriving and getting hidden - unlike coming home with a trolley full of bags of sugar and hours with a maslin on the stove or my two ring electric hob !

Even with just a few garden hives I won't go back to sugar syrup ... invert is brilliant, keeps without crystallising, they will take it down in almost any weather and it saves hours of stirring, heating, decanting and wife-annoying - plus - she never sees it arriving and getting hidden - unlike coming home with a trolley full of bags of sugar and hours with a maslin on the stove or my two ring electric hob !
Isn't it always several times the price though? The bees adding their own invertase has always been sufficient for me, never had issues with it crystallising tbf.

Isn't it always several times the price though? The bees adding their own invertase has always been sufficient for me, never had issues with it crystallising tbf.
https://gwenyngruffydd.co.uk/products/invertbeebee14kg5

= £1.78/Kg + advantages

https://groceries.asda.com/product/...hTazaGxpQPEP-8Cgk8NeZNf0rRiIqnwvZfuYK3-fwJo_Y

= £1.20/Kg + time + heat + disadvantages.

Yes, it is a bit more expensive but not several times the price. I'm happy to pay a reasonable premium for the convenience, I always keep a few drums in stock. One of our association members with lots of hives buys it in quantity and those who use it add to his order - helps him, helps us.

https://gwenyngruffydd.co.uk/products/invertbeebee14kg5

= £1.78/Kg + advantages

https://groceries.asda.com/product/...hTazaGxpQPEP-8Cgk8NeZNf0rRiIqnwvZfuYK3-fwJo_Y

= £1.20/Kg + time + heat + disadvantages.

Yes, it is a bit more expensive but not several times the price. I'm happy to pay a reasonable premium for the convenience, I always keep a few drums in stock. One of our association members with lots of hives buys it in quantity and those who use it add to his order - helps him, helps us.
Or you could go for fondant at about £1.20/kilo and not have to cart loads of water around.
And of course fondant is almost pure sugar where as invert is 20% water? 🙂

Or you could go for fondant at about £1.20/kilo and not have to cart loads of water around.
And of course fondant is almost pure sugar where as invert is 20% water? 🙂
Yes ... that's an option and I know a lot of people who only feed fondant... I keep some in stock for energency winter feeding but I like to see them guzzling down invert when I'm feeding them up for winter. Just not sold on fondant for regular autumn feeding for them.

Yes ... that's an option and I know a lot of people who only feed fondant... I keep some in stock for energency winter feeding but I like to see them guzzling down invert when I'm feeding them up for winter. Just not sold on fondant for regular autumn feeding for them.
We feed a lot of fondant. Don't mess about checking prices as it all comes from Bako.
Nucs & mating box's never have syrup as there's always wasp issues around us from mid July onwards.
Colonies have ten kilos of invert then 6 kilos block of fondant for the winter.

That's worth the additional cost of invert.

I have 10 kg of sugar hidden at the back of the food cupboard, where no one goes, for emergencies.

Otherwise, I've learnt the benefits of invert. It's just way faster and less of a mess and more convenient for the bees

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back