Sugar 59p x 1kg

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
British Sugar plc processes all the sugar beet grown in the UK by british farmers producing about 7 million tons of sugar. It is sold under the name Silver Spoon. The National farmers union negotiates for the growers with BS to set the price and quota allocation.

The National farmers union negotiates for the growers with BS to set the price and quota allocation.

No farm gate stuff available then, only cattle and sheep around here, so no chance of a few farm fresh bags of sugar.

I've just realised I posted the below on a thread about honey prices - perhaps because I was pre-occupied by other things and was sorting out some honey jars in the kitchen. :sorry:

Anyway, I'll repost it here in case anyone needs to search threads for current sugar prices.

If anyone needs to stock up Booker and Macro have a 7 day offer from today.... 15x1kg pack of granulated sugar for £6.99 which is about 47p a kg.

Booker have Tate and Lyle and Whitworths. Macro are just advertising Whitworths so not sure if they have T&L as well.

I've just got 30kg T&L from Booker for £13.98.

No farm gate stuff available then, only cattle and sheep around here, so no chance of a few farm fresh bags of sugar.
It's one of the crops grown around here, and it's fairly common to find a few beets in the gutter that have fallen off the back of a lorry (honest, Guv') - so one year I tried extracting sugar from a couple. 3 hours later I gave up in disgust, and poured the every-so-slightly-sweet liquid into a milk container. Now normally, those containers grow a black mould given the slightest opportunity. I think this performance was over 4 years ago - and still no mould ...

Think I'll stick to cane sugar ...

It's one of the crops grown around here, and it's fairly common to find a few beets in the gutter that have fallen off the back of a lorry (honest, Guv') - so one year I tried extracting sugar from a couple. 3 hours later I gave up in disgust, and poured the every-so-slightly-sweet liquid into a milk container. Now normally, those containers grow a black mould given the slightest opportunity. I think this performance was over 4 years ago - and still no mould ...

Don't give up - wait for the next sugar refinery to be up for closure and you can probably get it for a song. York and Selby went some years ago now but no doubt there will be others waiting for sacrifice on the altar of business rationalisation :(

It seems the message hasn't got round yet.

Refined sugar is … sugar! Sucrose! Doesn't matter if it comes from beet or cane or wherever. As long as its refined to pure sugar, its just sucrose.

However, if you happen to be one of those ultimate survivalist do-it-youselfers, then you'll quickly discover that refining it is quite a bit easier if you start from cane.
However, if you are buying granulated refined (white) sugar in packets (or even sacks) - it REALLY doesn't matter a damn whether it started as cane or beet.

When I started beekeeping iin 2010 this thread would have been of interest.

Now I know my hives have loads of stores (thanks for all the rips on hefting).. which is great as buying sugar is always expensive even sub 50p/kg.

Cane sugar is of course better than beet as insulation is a waste of time and the sensible beekeeper uses matchsticks...
not worthy

A new "pound shop" has opened in Goole, right next door to a Farm Foods and a LIDL the pound shop have sugar at a pound a 1kg bag while Farm Foods have it at two 1kg bags for a pound. Amazingly the pound shop seem to be selling some.

When I started beekeeping iin 2010 this thread would have been of interest.

Now I know my hives have loads of stores (thanks for all the rips on hefting).. which is great as buying sugar is always expensive even sub 50p/kg.

Cane sugar is of course better than beet as insulation is a waste of time and the sensible beekeeper uses matchsticks...

not worthy
:rofl:

A new "pound shop" has opened in Goole, right next door to a Farm Foods and a LIDL the pound shop have sugar at a pound a 1kg bag while Farm Foods have it at two 1kg bags for a pound. Amazingly the pound shop seem to be selling some.
They probably buy it from Farm Foods.

Poundstretcher 49p 1kg, FF's 2 for £1, do we have a sugar price war?

Poundstretcher 49p 1kg, FF's 2 for £1, do we have a sugar price war?

World wide sugar surplus exacerbated by sanctions on Russia..

Sugar 59p per 1kg at Farmfoods

Just purchased 50 x 1kg bags for 45p each from Farmfoods - all to go into storage until next year (less any the wife wants). Used their 2 bags for £1 offer plus a £2.50 off voucher when spending £25 or more. The voucher turned up with the local freebie newspaper, but can also be downloaded from their website www.farmfoods.co.uk/Vouchers.php The voucher runs until 31 Jan 2015.

Cane sugar is of course better than beet ...

I keep reading statements in Beekeeping obviously written by persons who are either stupid , have not studied basic science or write before they think.

I find it supremely amusing that it is those who are claiming a basic knowledge of science who hold the belief that cane sugar and beet sugar are identical substances.

Whilst the sucroses from these two sources are nutritionally equivalent, they are certainly 'not the same': for although they have identical molecular structures, they do not actually contain the same molecules.

Puzzled ? Go learn some basic biochemistry ... :)

LJ

I find it supremely amusing that it is those who are claiming a basic knowledge of science who hold the belief that cane sugar and beet sugar are identical substances.

Whilst the sucroses from these two sources are nutritionally equivalent, they are certainly 'not the same': for although they have identical molecular structures, they do not actually contain the same molecules.

LJ

I find it even more amusing that some people whitter on about beet sugar being bad for their bees compared to cane - whilst from the bees' point of view neither is better nor worse than the other. Regardless of some trying to be superior to others by blathering on about organic chemistry

Regardless of some trying to be superior to others by blathering on about organic chemistry
Do you make the same value-judgements when hive insulation is being discussed ad nauseam ?

If you feel inferior to anyone, it's really not my problem.

LJ

Latest posts

Back