Sublimox

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Bee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Just thought i'd mention that Thornes and Abelo now stock the Sublimox Vapouriser for those who don't already know!

I also noticed that the Sublimox has come down a bit in price on the Icko Apiculture website for some reason.

Not really a relevant comparison ... Apiguard is pretty-much a late-summer only treatment, whereas OA can be used at any time (nucs, full colonies, swarms etc).

Of course, there are much less expensive ways to deliver OA than a Sublimox.

Not really a relevant comparison ... Apiguard is pretty-much a late-summer only treatment, whereas OA can be used at any time (nucs, full colonies, swarms etc).

Of course, there are much less expensive ways to deliver OA than a Sublimox.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere tbe sublimox uses full blown PID control. Seems an unnecessary expense for the duty unless the price of controllers has plunged since I retired

Thornes in cheapest supplier shock!

I bought directly from Icko in the summer and paid very slightly more.

Lots of pre owned ones on ebay soon as £350 is a bit overkill ( skuse Pun!) for all the 2 hive owners!

Nollaig Shona ( Irish Gaelic)

Mytten da

Some of our fraternity do love their gadgets don't they. These vapourisers make great "Boys toys" for those beekeepers that already have a garage full of assorted and hardly ever used power tools plus the must have ride on lawn mower and the Chelsea tractor. I'm still a Philistine (Dinosaur?) and will still be using oxalic dribble in December and for the last 50+ years have always managed to light my smoker using a single match and am totally unimpressed by the size of the "flamethrowers" used by alpha male beekeepers to light theirs.

Some of our fraternity do love their gadgets don't they. These vapourisers make great "Boys toys" for those beekeepers that already have a garage full of assorted and hardly ever used power tools plus the must have ride on lawn mower and the Chelsea tractor. I'm still a Philistine (Dinosaur?) and will still be using oxalic dribble in December and for the last 50+ years have always managed to light my smoker using a single match and am totally unimpressed by the size of the "flamethrowers" used by alpha male beekeepers to light theirs.

I made my own vaporiser for £2.50 so no boyz toyz here---congratulations on 50 years lighting smokers with a match.. I prefer a self igniting blowlamp and a cylinder insert...

Move with new technology I say..If you can use the internet, you can use modern beekeeping methods...:paparazzi:

I will own up to lighting the smoker with a magnifying glass and concentrated rays from the Sun.... bees so calm now ... rarely needed!

Nos da

[..] for the last 50+ years have always managed to light my smoker using a single match [..]

You sure it isn't a magic wand? One match lasting 50 years is pretty magical.

I asked what it did; not what it is used in.
Any fool can quote google.

Hoped that link would help... possibly need a bit more than a pass at "O" level maths to understand.

What it does... Manages the control of heat and gas input / output in a sort of negative feedback system.. controlled in a microprocessor using an algorithm.. ( a mathematical derived formulae)
A bit like the ECU controller on your car engine... measuring fuel input, air velocity, gradient, acceleration, air and engine temperature, driving mode etc etc... to give optimum performance....

Dose that help?

I am certain others could explain more clearly

Nos da

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a PID control?

Proportional, Integral, Derivative control. This is intended to provide smooth response to process variables rather than on/off (sometimes called bang bang control). If you read the link to PID for dummies it gives a reasonably understandable description which I won't repeat here. However proportional only control could be used to open a steam valve to heat a vat during a chemical reaction and gradually close it as the desired temperature is approached. Depending on volume, specific heats, draught and other factors the valve may not respond quickly/slowly enough and the vat temperature could overshoot/undershoot to the detriment of the product. Process control aims to provide a stable temperature and the product quality is satisfactory.
Going back to the point about is it necessary, switching the power on and off in response to a thermostat would give temperature variation (oscillations) about the set point but does that really matter for sublimation?

Last edited:
Going back to the point about is it necessary, switching the power on and off in response to a thermostat would give temperature variation (oscillations) about the set point but does that really matter for sublimation?

Thanks for that.
I would have thought it quite necessary for rapid repeated sublimations which require a specific temperature to start from.
There is no waiting between vaping with a sublimox which is one of the many reasons it is so efficient and such a time saver compared to the pan and battery type where have to wait until it heat up's then cool and start again. Fine if you only have a few hives but major time waster when you have several

Back