Sublimation procedure

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griffo

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
It is a couple of years since I used my sublimation equipment and would appreciate a reminder on procedure, particularly do I need to allow some top ventilation while the vapour is being produced. At the moment I have the feed holes covered and insulation on top.

Definitely no top ventilation needed, put about 2.3 - 2.5 grams of OA in the pan, if putting the varrox in through the entrance, block the entrance with some foam or rag before vaping, if vaping from under the OMF, don't bother.
Connect the battery and vape for two and a half minutes, disconnect battery and wait a further two minutes, then remove varrox, dip in cold water to cool the pan and go on to the next hive

Does that mean that I have to take my matchsticks out before vaping?...
No leave them in and gaffa tape the gap up. :laughing-smiley-014talking of leaving holes why do I see beeks leaving mesh over the crown board hole then when there's vap pooring out they cover the hole over?

Conclusion : as the bottom of the hive is sealed wouldn't it draw the vap upwards? And also as an observation to see the vap mist quantity going into the hive?

No leave them in and gaffa tape the gap up. :laughing-smiley-014talking of leaving holes why do I see beeks leaving mesh over the crown board hole then when there's vap pooring out they cover the hole over?
as the bottom of the hive is sealed wouldn't it draw the vap upwards? And also as an observation to see the vap mist quantity going into the hive?
Because they struggle to think for themselves, but then realise their error when the 'smoke' pours out.
Why do you need to see the sublimate exit the top? Isn't the fact that it happens even if you don't watch sufficient?
What is this obsession of needing to create a chimney effect in the hive? the sublimate will rise regardless. Ask the people with polycarbonate crownboards, but enough common sense not to leave gaping holes in them will tell you.

Because they struggle to think for themselves, but then realise their error when the 'smoke' pours out.
Why do you need to see the sublimate exit the top? Isn't the fact that it happens even if you don't watch sufficient?
What is this obsession of needing to create a chimney effect in the hive? the sublimate will rise regardless. Ask the people with polycarbonate crownboards, but enough common sense not to leave gaping holes in them will tell you.
I've watched a few videos recently with beeks sublimating with holes above.. If you don't ask :unsure:.

Emyr I'm a noob when it comes to using a sublimox.. If it wasn't for everyone on here I would of carried on trickling OA and such.. For some reason I had some sort of hangup with OA in general..
But to me vaping OA is the best form of varroa treatment around its modern(even though its been around for a while) and has people talking about it more than any other treatment which stands for something.
All associations should have some sort of course to teach others how to use it via vaping rather than trickle treatments.
Any one in the future that I mentor will be shown how to use it.
Among even my association members I don't think it ls used..
Beeks are to stuck in there ways.
And need to think out side of every box.. How else can one improve there learning..

Last edited:
Thanks for the info

I always give the winter vape to the bees of those that I mentor, so that they see it in action, but also tell them about the cost of the kit, and take the stuff for trickling, along with the syrup/OA recipe, and explain the pros and cons. That way they can make up their own minds.

I vaped an empty hive complete with frames !
the day after, I examined it. Every surface was covered with a dusting of OA including the inspection tray even though I vaped above the OMF
No heat damage whatsoever!
If you want to distribute a solid evenly on a surface, vapourisation is absolutely the way to do it. E.g. the reflective layer on the Hubble Telescope mirror was deposited by vapourisation.

If you want to distribute a solid evenly on a surface, vapourisation is absolutely the way to do it. E.g. the reflective layer on the Hubble Telescope mirror was deposited by vapourisation.
The exercise was unnecessary but curiosity about the distribution and and the proximity of the pipe to the frames/wax .
I started vaping with home brewed kit . B741FF2F-6DAB-4011-8D7F-187DC4802623.jpeg

I've watched a few videos recently with beeks sublimating with holes above.. If you don't ask :unsure:.

Emyr I'm a noob when it comes to using a sublimox.. If it wasn't for everyone on here I would of carried on trickling OA and such.. For some reason I had some sort of hangup with OA in general..
But to me vaping OA is the best form of varroa treatment around its modern(even though its been around for a while) and has people talking about it more than any other treatment which stands for something.
All associations should have some sort of course to teach others how to use it via vaping rather than trickle treatments.
Any one in the future that I mentor will be shown how to use it.
Among even my association members I don't think it ls used..
Beeks are to stuck in there ways.
And need to think out side of every box.. How else can one improve there learning..
So really glad you got the message. Sublimation is by far the best by a million miles. Best done imho just after Xmas or early in the NY> How about today?:):):)

So really glad you got the message. Sublimation is by far the best by a million miles. Best done imho just after Xmas or early in the NY> How about today?:):):)
3c and very cloudy here 4 inches of lying snow no chance!

We did ours in Sept, and a few on the 17th of Dec 1 treatment.
some have had no treatment at all since 2019(Oct) apivar, four colonys which are TF.

OA sublimation is as you said the best form, less intrusive.. But it's not just the be and end all of varroa control in a colony.

some have had no treatment at all since 2019(Oct) apivar, four colonys which are TF.

OA sublimation is as you said the best form, less intrusive.. But it's not just the be and end all of varroa control in a colony.
Absolutely, its just one tool and one part of hive hygiene/disease control.

I totally and absolutely agree. Trouble is that so many are averse to the sublimation benefits for no good reason imho.

I totally and absolutely agree. Trouble is that so many are averse to the sublimation benefits for no good reason imho.
Well that's there lose then... I was unsure a few years ago but now I'm more knowledgeable about it.. Its really the only treatment long term that has no resistance.

On another forum, I was told that LASI has said that OA vaporisation should not be carried out on bees at temperatures below 4°C or rather that it should only be done between 4°C and 16°C. It was said that the source of this temperature range is LASI's instruction sheet, 'how to apply OA via sublimation as part of the Sussex plan'.

I have not heard about a lower temperature limit but I suppose it could be to ensure the bees are not tightly clustered but it does seem to conflict with LASI's insistence of only vaporising a broodless colony.

Does anybody have any chapter and verse on this? I Googled Sussex Plan but could not find the above temperature limits or the reason for it.

CVB

Back