Stuff people get away with

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
10-20 depending
OK, so maybe each of us occasionally takes a shortcut or two but this very expensive hotel in the Swiss Alps needs a new honey supplier!

Attachments

• HoneyComb2.jpg
    HoneyComb2.jpg
    348.7 KB · Views: 268
This one I have to comment on.

Isn't this just a comb that guests have been consuming over 2-3 days? in other words nothing wrong with what you see as 300 people have been hacking at it - they spoon runny honey from the tray.

You seem to be suggesting a beekeeper has sold this (as it is in the picture) straight from the hive.

JD

This one I have to comment on.

Isn't this just a comb that guests have been consuming over 2-3 days? in other words nothing wrong with what you see as 300 people have been hacking at it - they spoon runny honey from the tray.

You seem to be suggesting a beekeeper has sold this (as it is in the picture) straight from the hive.

JD

A wired comb that has had brood in it.

honey would, but you wouldn't want to be spreading the whole thing (comb included) on your toast.
Then again, wouldn't catch me in Switzerland at this time of year - way too much snow!

Would the honey from that comb in the picture not be clean.
OK
The honey would be clean....
Perhaps I should have said
I have eaten comb honey presented this way in a posh hotel. It did not have the remains of brood cells in it which to my mind is distasteful and looks bad.
edit.....the comb, not the honey

It did not have the remains of brood cells in it which to my mind is distasteful and looks bad.

Perhaps, Hugh, Jimmy and Jamie have been having dealings with the honey supply for that hotel.

A wired comb that has had brood in it.

Not convinced it has been brood, super frames that have never seen brood get very dark after a seasons or two - personally I would not extract from brood frames but that image is not clear. Don't care about the wire as it probably helps the frame from collapsing at breakfast time.

I do recall a nasty old timer doing a talk locally, association talk in which he said dark honey was hard to come by so he would deliberately harvest his honey from old brood frames to help darken the end product - his claim not mine.

Not convinced it has been brood, super frames that have never seen brood get very dark after a seasons or two - personally I would not extract from brood frames but that image is not clear. Don't care about the wire as it probably helps the frame from collapsing at breakfast time.

I do recall a nasty old timer doing a talk locally, association talk in which he said dark honey was hard to come by so he would deliberately harvest his honey from old brood frames to help darken the end product - his claim not mine.

the curve of the dark area looks quite brood shaped to me

From the pic difficult to make out cocoons but it could very well be a patch of darker honey surrounded by lighter. It happens. I have experienced OSR around Hawthorne. Very frustrating it was too!

PH

It had.

Latest posts

Back