Stroppy bees.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
2 - and steward of 8 others.
You opinion, please.

Went to inspect the 4 hives on the roof of the PrintWorks in Manchester this morning. They have an area of raised beds where they cultivate fruit and veg. The weather was overcast, slightly breezy, a feeling of rain in the air, but no actual rain, no thunder etc. in prospect.

I inspected the first hive - all was fine. I opened the second - at which point a couple of the staff came to harvest rhubarb about 10 yards away.

As I got into the brood box, the bees became very bothersome, then aggressive. I took a couple of stings - then decided to shut up shop. Of the four colonies, this one has always been a bit tetchy.

But when I went to open the remaining two, they also started to get stroppy. I decided that discretion was the better part of valour, and left them alone.

Could it be the scent of the harvested rhubarb, do you think? I've never heard that before - but the amount of beekeeping lore that I've not come across, is huge.

Oh, and just for the record, the RBI did a random inspection on Thursday of last week and was happy about the bees. And on Monday I took samples in - absolutely no signs of acarine or nosema.

Your opinion would be welcome.

Dusty

I've got a few colonies of mongrels like that, open them up and receive a full on attack, one of the colonies I had marked as gentle, a week later in the climate you're describing they have been nasty ever since. No rhubarb in site. In the past a couple of Buckfast colonies after the queen reached her fourth season, they went from gentle to very nasty, covering my beesuit and crawling up the gloves.

Nearly all my hives are overly aggressive at the moment.no flow and protecting stores.

Nearly all my hives are overly aggressive at the moment.no flow and protecting stores.

:iagree:Our ivy is only just bursting a few buds, but man, are they difficult. We've had no rain for 8 weeks and theres no nectar, no pollen an robbing wherever and whenever possible!! i am sure it is the fact theres nothing around!!

Sounds like the last 2 may have been reacting to alarm pheromone (from the 2nd hive) in the air or on your suit/gloves?

Agree with others views, the bees seem to be more defensive generally at the moment. Wasps, potential robbing, 'disappearing stores' and less forage around may all be contributing.

my general calm lot who under normal situations let me under the cover with no smoke and no stings ! however recently have been absolutely ( censored )
full on yesterday with a dozen hanging off me at one point bums bent in through the suit , smoker never worked so hard and they still went for it.
managed to get an un-capped super under bb and a quick chance to see some crammed full frames of brood before calling it quits !

So kit had to get washed again and only just done it

Last edited:
The weather was overcast, slightly breezy, a feeling of rain in the air, but no actual rain, no thunder etc. in prospect.

Sounds like your answer there.
how much protection do the hives have from the wind, it might have actually been windier than you thought.

I changed a feeder this morning. Was nearly going to not bother with a suit but thought better had. I slid the feeder over and I swear the bees lifted it off the feeder hole before I could get the new one on and in an instant a torrent of angry bees poured out.........................
I wish I'd put gloves on now :(

All our bees on the defensive and I have never seen so many wasps, they are an absolute menace at the moment. The bees have definitely decided winter is coming, only one hive still has drones and I have shoved a test frame in that because there is no sign of a queen.

Did you paint your nails just before hand?

Me?
Nails?
Not since I was teenager...then I used to paint them black..very cool in the sixties :)
Then I was a surgeon so nails were cut ultra short
Then I retired and my hands are now soil encrusted half the time :)

I've got two hives that are just plain anti-social and aggressive when they are in a good mood and very aggressive when they are not. Weather makes no difference but they breed well and bring in the honey. I moved them to an out apiary in a field miles from anyone and when I visit I wear an extra pair of trousers over my jeans and a reasonably thick jumper over my long sleeve shirt and a flat cap pinned under under the hood of my full bee suit - no matter what the weather! When I go into them the first thing they do is cover my mask so I end up smoking myself with the smoker so I have a chance to see what I'm looking for/at. So different from my two hives with Buckfast queens that I acquired earlier this year. Absolute pussycats in comparison.

Mine are the same at the moment. Perfectly fine with me sitting in the chair between the hives watching them do their business. Open them up though and BANG they are on me. They have had a tough year, going to leave them pretty much alone til spring now. I dislike being stung lol

Latest posts

Back