Those Naughty Buckie Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tremyfro

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Beehaus
Number of Hives
Possibly...5 and a bit...depends on the bees.
We didn't have time to go into the hives yesterday. So we combined our inspection today with spraying the bees with thymol spray.
The first hive was the nuc which we did a place swop with a bigger hive as it didn't have enough bees. On opening...ooo lots of bees...nice. 5 frames of bias today so that is a definite improvement. However, we found a couple of sealed queen cells. So into a nuc they went and gave the colony another frame of comb for queenie to lay in.
Next was a beehaus....doing well and expanding nicely. Supered.
Then the nosema colony...now has 5 frames of bees plus eggs on another frame. We saw the queen on this frame checking out the spaces. So we removed a frame of store and added another empty drawn comb. I think they are getting over their nosema.
The last was another beehaus. Lots of bees. Then shock/horror...a frame with loads of queen cells....naughty naughty girls...there was still lots of room in the hive....then another queen cell on another frame. We took out the frames with the queen cells on them as they were all sealed and put them into nucs. Gave the queen two more drawn frames. Checked all the frames again but didn't see her but there are eggs in the cells so if next week there are more qcs we will do an artificial swarm into the other half of the beehaus. If she swarmed...they will make more QCs, if she is there we do the A/S, otherwise this colony may get my new carniolan queen when she arrives....being careful to ensure they are queen less first.
All nucs were assembled a la Ericalfbee.....it took us ages to do all this as everything had to be found in the Bee Shed...and now it needs tidying up again!
...for a moment....we suffered new season nerves and paralysis....then made decisions...albeit...probably not the best ones....hey ho .....relaxing with vino now which is making the whole experience seem totally rose tinted.

...for a moment....we suffered new season nerves and paralysis....then made decisions...albeit...probably not the best ones....hey ho .....
Yep, we do plenty of that! :D
Stand there, just looking at what the bees have done in complete silence, talk about all possible scenarios and solutions, stand there in complete silence for a bit more, do something completely different!

Keep an eye on the nosema colony, you my get a lot of chalkbrood and have to requeen it.

Looks like you had a busy day.:D

Ended up with three nucs.... But I will probably use one for a new hygienic queen I have coming. Perhaps she will clean up all the Bee Yard and the Bee Barn too!
Beginning to feel less traumatised after two glasses of fizz.
If the nucs each make a queen and then do well...I might get all my beehaus occupied this year after all.

Ended up with three nucs.... But I will probably use one for a new hygienic queen I have coming. Perhaps she will clean up all the Bee Yard and the Bee Barn too!
Beginning to feel less traumatised after two glasses of fizz.
If the nucs each make a queen and then do well...I might get all my beehaus occupied this year after all.

Oh will your hygienic queen come clean for me too.
Had to laugh - seems youve been flaunting the old credit card just like me!

Oh will your hygienic queen come clean for me too.
Had to laugh - seems youve been flaunting the old credit card just like me!

Us old timers don't get credit....we might not live long enough to pay their extortionate interest! I might loan her out to recoup the cost...weekly rates....

Latest posts

Back