Help Please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perrandan

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hey everyone, Please could someone help. My Dad and I started keeping bees last year we purchased a nuc from a great couple near to where we live in Cornwall. the bees seemed to be thriving and we grew in confidence on our weekly hive inspection. At the end of last year we managed to harvest a few jars of quite simply nectar of the gods. after harvesting we fed and got the hive ready for winter. After winter we fed the hive again due to the terribly late spring weather, we had left the initial opening of the hive until we had reasonable temperatures. We were both happy to discover on opening a laying queen and we were feeling rather proud of ourselves getting the hive through the winter. Last week I took some 50/50 feed down to the ladies because we have been having torrential rain and terrible weather. everything seemed to be fine. This week however things are a different matter the hive seemed desolate on arrival and after opening I found a small pile of dead bees and no queen or any worker bees left alive. I think they may have swarmed but am not sure because all the bees left behind are now dead. I feel as if ive let the ladies down can someone help me understand whats gone on.

What is the brood like? What is left? Sealed, unsealed, eggs?

Collect a sample of the bees and give them to your local bee inspector

hey thanks for rapid reply, the brood had sealed and un sealed, with dead bees seeming to emerge from them. also young larvae were discernible at the bottom of the cells. cant figure this out though they may have starved initial but seems they had plenty of stores in the brood.

I am sorry that you have lost your hive. It could be starvation. It is hard to get bees through a Spring such as the one we have had, don't give up, we all lose some, it is the way we learn. In the Autumn make sure the bees have a super of honey to see them through the winter. That way you can ensure their supplies for the coming months.

Sounds very much like starvation. The clue will be that many bees will be dead with their heads buried deep in the empty cells. Leaving them foodless for 24 or thereabouts hours is enough for them to die. Or is there still stores available? If so, you have another problem that needs investigation.

hey guys thanks for the help. Didn't treat for varoa as thought the temperature was too cold to open up in early spring. definitely had food stored in the brood. no signs of varoa on the inspection board under wire floor.

you should have treated last autumn for varroa.

depends on how good your imagination is. I was replying to the OP when on about it being too cold to treat in the spring.

depends on how good your imagination is. I was replying to the OP when on about it being too cold to treat in the spring.
Must learn to read slower, and inwardly digest.

and stop drinking too much..

Latest posts

Back