Strike

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At a time when most people are exposed to the cold wind of economic reality, you can't be surprised if those of us out in the snow look at those in the warm without rejoicing at their good fortune.

:rant:

This is called envy.
Its not good.
I'm not shocked or surprised, but saddened that we seem to be encouraged to envy.
Next they'll convince us its economically necessary to bomb Libyans ( oops, they already did ! ) or invade Iran.
Its not "dig for Britain" anymore, its "discourage teachers from defending their pensions so we have more money to invade rthe middle east".

Thats my rant.

B . . . . cold out 'ere, innit Skyhook? Anyone coming to join us?
As for envy, sorry, I'll go back to Victorian times and avoid embarrassing the well-to-do by facing the hedge as they drive past. Tsk.

B . . . . cold out 'ere, innit Skyhook? Anyone coming to join us?
As for envy, sorry, I'll go back to Victorian times and avoid embarrassing the well-to-do by facing the hedge as they drive past. Tsk.

Its fairly universally understood public sector teachers aint what you'd call "well-to-do". If you want to envy their renumeration package you're sad. ( IMHO )

Well Skyhook - perhaps of we kept our noses out of sh*t that doesn't concern us and just leave it to Uncle Sam, like, wars all over the shop, and spending truckloads on Europe, and funding (knowingly or otherwise) government surveys, inspections, reports, second homes (and I am not including the stuff they got ringpieced for like moats etc, I mean the stuff they are permitted to claim for), and office budgets which (having had one myself of £40,000.00 per annum for an office the size of a cars footprint), well then maybe just maybe they could scrape together a few coppers. But they would probably use it to bail out Europe again. Pandering to a failing ideal, by throwing more money at it, getting your demand for £? whatever billion, and coming back having fought tooth and nail and expecting a heros welcome for only giving two thirds of it, because that makes sense. As you say, what goes out has to come in, or looked at another way what comes in does not have to be spent on sh*t that don't work like it said on the box.

I do not begrudge teachers their promised due. Or nurses, or anyone else who took on a job with a long term commitment and upheld their side of the bargain. Why when they are told - sorry pots empty (which it isnt believe that if you want but its far from empty) do they get upset I wonder. We are all being bullied for the mistakes of government. And they are, successfully turning brother against brother instead of us all pointing the finger at those who over spent, making them pay till they die/fail/collapse, and then going after those that do not even show up on the scope, and leave those that maybe not run the country, but make the country work, alone.

And I'm not at all ranting at you Skyhook, I am not ranting at all. I am just saddened by how easily that prat Cameron can shoo any pleading away with a smirk on his face and a laugh at his "big society". I would doubt we will be looking at Cameron at the next election as our PM. I could be wrong, but I really doubt it.

"I am just saddened by how easily that prat Cameron can shoo any pleading away with a smirk on his face and a laugh at his "big society". I would doubt we will be looking at Cameron at the next election as our PM. I could be wrong, but I really doubt it."

Plymouth was in focus on last nights BBC news... as a wind swept empty city with real povity and depredation... closed shops, people worried about cost of fuel, food kids cloths.. not a mention of fat pensions......... is YOUR CITY booming or slowly going bankrupt?
And surprisingly the good people of Plymouth voted a Tory council in at the last election, they were not driven by envy... just a need for change!

"I am just saddened by how easily that prat Cameron can shoo any pleading away with a smirk on his face and a laugh at his "big society". I would doubt we will be looking at Cameron at the next election as our PM. I could be wrong, but I really doubt it."

Plymouth was in focus on last nights BBC news... as a wind swept empty city with real povity and depredation... closed shops, people worried about cost of fuel, food kids cloths.. not a mention of fat pensions......... is YOUR CITY booming or slowly going bankrupt?
And surprisingly the good people of Plymouth voted a Tory council in at the last election, they were not driven by envy... just a need for change!

I am not sure what you are saying - are you blaming the Tories or Labour or both. I was saying government as a whole. But Cameron is a prat. As for Plymouth, and it isnt the only one dying on its ar%e it has something to do with rules and regs and rates etc, but (having been a shopkeeper myself) it is more to do with the bloody high rents these landlords charge. I was paying £3200.00 a year for a shop in the back end of nowhere that was 18 foot by 15 foot. Because that was all I could afford. The high street which is a hundred yards away, such as it is, commands (or rather the scumbag landlords) £55,000.00 a year and £33,000.00 a year for the threshers place that shut and Going Mobile's landlord wanted £35,000.00 a year before it was GM. High rents (which may be unregulated I dont know, probably if its anything like house prices) are the cause of empty shops on high streets more than anything.

Last edited:
Don't get me started....

good for you! The government are trying to pull a fast one on teachers. In 2007 their pension payments were increased and from 2013 will be self financing so all this talk of needing to take more because people are living longer and the other tax payers supporting their pension is frankly b******s.

Incidentally you might like to be aware that for every £1 of tax payers money which goes to support public service pensions £2.50 of taxpayers money goes to support the top 1% of earners pensions and fill in gaps in private pensions where employers have fallen down on the job.:leaving:
[/quote]

Oh how my heart bleeds

do you know, i think the bloody lot of them are only one step removed from the scroungers on the dole.

Jobs for life
long holidays
9-3.30
non-contributory pensions

oh how they must struggle

TIME FOR A REALITY CHECK STRIKERS

in the private sector (the one that actually contributes FINANCIALLY to the running of this country through rents, rates, taxes, ni, more taxes on capital gains, bonuses etc) they are also facing the change to pension schemes....and it means small employers will legally have to offer a pension to all workers...and they will (worker & employer) have to contribute to it...so why are the public sector complaining so much

you've had it TOO GOOD FOR TOO LONG. Time to shake the bloody lot of you up just like Maggie did in the 1980s with the miners.

I'm sick and tired of hearing how these hard pressed public sector workers have to struggle on their incomes.

The rest of us do and WE PAY YOUR BLOODY WAGES.

You're lucky to have a job

regards

s

Last edited:
it's not only the rents, it's the rates.
a local butchers typically pays more per yr than tescos superstore

I am not sure what you are saying - are you blaming the Tories or Labour or both. I was saying government as a whole. But Cameron is a prat. As for Plymouth, and it isnt the only one dying on its ar%e it has something to do with rules and regs and rates etc, but (having been a shopkeeper myself) it is more to do with the bloody high rents these landlords charge. I was paying £3200.00 a year for a shop in the back end of nowhere that was 18 foot by 15 foot. Because that was all I could afford. The high street which is a hundred yards away, such as it is, commands (or rather the scumbag landlords) £55,000.00 a year and £33,000.00 a year for the threshers place that shut and Going Mobile's landlord wanted £35,000.00 a year before it was GM. High rents (which may be unregulated I dont know, probably if its anything like house prices) are the cause of empty shops on high streets more than anything.

The blame lies with the underlying fundamental of the Private landlord and the greed of the landlord private or otherwise... screwing everyone, not to mention estate agents solicitors and barristers and other liars and twisters!
Ebineezer Howard wrote at lengths about his disdain for the now called fat cats in his treatise on Garden Cities back in 1900s

The people of Plymouth believed the tales of a bright prosperous future... under Labour.. new and old and more recently under the so called Conservative party! I think they are ...:beatdeadhorse5::beatdeadhorse5:

!

Oh it's easy to call people names from a distance.

I've met DC on a personal level twice in the past year. He is a decent man who cares passionately about this country.

We wouldn't be in the mess we are now if it weren't for the profligate spending of the last (Labour) government who were handed a golden chalice in 1997 and they blew the lot, and borrowed even more.

It's Brown & Blair and the shower that are in opposition that you need to blame.

Look back in the past 40 years of political history - a right of centre government always has to unpick the overspending of the previous left of centre government.

S

I see you are employed but not at what .
No I'm not asking what at
I'd like to remind you that I was a miner as a boy ,yes boy 15to 17.5 years of age .
Please don't bandy words about which you know little if anything about .
I have a son who teaches . His pension isn't none contributory .
His spare time is often devoted to playing catch with the less gifted pupils !
Being in charge of extra curricula activities involving full responsibility for any problems arising from them (health and safety etc).
Voice an opinion by all means but please make it an informed one !
Incidentally , he pays taxes, vat ,fuel supplements etc.
If your rant is based merely on the press , then I suggest you do your own research before castigating a whole section of the community . not worthy
VM

I see you are employed but not at what .
No I'm not asking what at
I'd like to remind you that I was a miner as a boy ,yes boy 15to 17.5 years of age .
Please don't bandy words about which you know little if anything about .
I have a son who teaches . His pension isn't none contributory .
His spare time is often devoted to playing catch with the less gifted pupils !
Being in charge of extra curricula activities involving full responsibility for any problems arising from them (health and safety etc).
Voice an opinion by all means but please make it an informed one !
Incidentally , he pays taxes, vat ,fuel supplements etc.
If your rant is based merely on the press , then I suggest you do your own research before castigating a whole section of the community . not worthy
VM

What's 'you being a miner as a boy' got to do with it Victor ? Naff all. You weren't after 17.5 years so think yourself lucky you escaped from the danger that the mines were to man & boy.
My opinion is informed by who I talk to, hear, listen, and see.

I'm just damned if I'm going to see a load of left wing tosh win the day here - we need opinions from the other side of the divide as well you know.

I'll say it again, I HAVE NO SYMPATHY WITH THE STRIKERS who left families, school children, commuters, injured people, hospitalised people, people due operations, the sick, elderly and needy IN THE LURCH to day.

NONE WHATSOEVER.

They ought to be ashamed of themselves.every.last.one.of.them.

I've crossed swords with you before and it won't be the last time I fear.

S

Oh it's easy to call people names from a distance.

I've met DC on a personal level twice in the past year. He is a decent man who cares passionately about this country.

We wouldn't be in the mess we are now if it weren't for the profligate spending of the last (Labour) government who were handed a golden chalice in 1997 and they blew the lot, and borrowed even more.

It's Brown & Blair and the shower that are in opposition that you need to blame.

Look back in the past 40 years of political history - a right of centre government always has to unpick the overspending of the previous left of centre government.

S

:eek:I met quite a few of the higher echelon in my career.. all were most pleasant intelligent people... even this guy !
View attachment 5432

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Skyhook
At a time when most people are exposed to the cold wind of economic reality, you can't be surprised if those of us out in the snow look at those in the warm without rejoicing at their good fortune.

This is called envy.

Partly, yes- I'm only human. But it's not just that, its unfairness- the fact that the rest of us are paying for something we can only dream of.

do you know, i think the bloody lot of them are only one step removed from the scroungers on the dole.

Jobs for life

Wrong. Firstly many teachers have been in other occupations before teaching many leave teaching and go into other occupations and many are made redundant - Juts like in the private sector.

long holidays

Wrong again. Long periods when the children don't go into school and they aren't required to be on the premises. Much of which is used in marking and preparations of lessons, keeping up with changes in the syllabus and for those who are teaching subjects like science and ICT keeping up with discoveries and changes.

Wrong yet again. For many teachers the school day starts at 7:00am and finishes at 5 or 6 with the occasional parents evenings lasting until 9 or 10. Certainly no teacher can cope with just being on site and working during the hours the children are.

non-contributory pensions

Guess what! Wrong again. They do pay contributions.

in the private sector (the one that actually contributes FINANCIALLY to the running of this country through rents, rates, taxes, ni, more taxes on capital gains, bonuses etc)

Not much you can tell me about the private sector I have been over the years a partner in 4 businesses.

they are also facing the change to pension schemes....and it means small employers will legally have to offer a pension to all workers...and they will (worker & employer) have to contribute to it...so why are the public sector complaining so much

Firstly see my comment immediately above. Simply put because because not 4 years ago the pensions were changed and announced as OK. In the case of the teachers because it is deferred pay. They have accepted pay levels below those they could earn in other jobs for the security and a half way decent pension. They rightly object to having that taken away from them after they have in many cases worked for a lot of years on a contract which promised them certain conditions. You will be familiar with breach of contract in the private sector. Why should the government be allowed to get away with it.

you've had it TOO GOOD FOR TOO LONG. Time to shake the bloody lot of you up just like Maggie did in the 1980s with the miners.

I take it from this comment that you are in favour of people being allowed to break contracts willy nilly. If not then the government should not be breaking this contract.

I'm sick and tired of hearing how these hard pressed public sector workers have to struggle on their incomes.

Nobody has suggested they are struggling any more than anyone else on their wages. Do please stick to the point of the discussion.

The rest of us do and WE PAY YOUR BLOODY WAGES.

The rest of you pay part of public sector wages. If we say 25% is taken in tax that pays 1/3 of the take home pay of the public service worker. The VAT they pay from the rest pays another slice.

You're lucky to have a job

First on a point of order I haven't I am retired.

Secondly you may not have noticed but public service workers are currently bearing the brunt of redundancies due to government cuts.

I am assuming that this rant is tongue in cheek. If it isn't then you had better start to refuse all the service provided by public services - fire, health, sanitation, road maintenance (yes I know some will claim they aren't maintained), education etc etc as you clearly don't feel the jobs need done.

I would also suggest you make sure your facts are right, it is as used to be said when I was in education - "everyone is an expert in education because they have been to school. You statements above about teaching MAY have been correct in the 1960s ( and that is only MAY) but not since.

Last edited:
What's 'you being a miner as a boy' got to do with it Victor ? Naff all. You weren't after 17.5 years so think yourself lucky you escaped from the danger that the mines were to man & boy.
My opinion is informed by who I talk to, hear, listen, and see.

I'm just damned if I'm going to see a load of left wing tosh win the day here - we need opinions from the other side of the divide as well you know.

I'll say it again, I HAVE NO SYMPATHY WITH THE STRIKERS who left families, school children, commuters, injured people, hospitalised people, people due operations, the sick, elderly and needy IN THE LURCH to day.

NONE WHATSOEVER.

They ought to be ashamed of themselves.every.last.one.of.them.

I've crossed swords with you before and it won't be the last time I fear.

S
Not with your attitude it won't . first you gloated about Maggie decimating the mining industry (leaving us vulnerable to the oil industry), next you point out the facts of the hard dangerous work involved .
Make your mind up !! if anyone is bolshie in this discussion I suggest you take a look closer to home !.
You remind me of Matthew Wright , sitting on his backside 5 days a week , gurning ,mocking and telling all who listen to find a job .
Kettles and pots I say :)
VM

Latest posts

Back