Strawberries

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cazza

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 ish
Hurrah! My first proper bowlful of strawberries for 2011 from the garden is sitting in the kitchen tempting me.......:drool5:

It makes all that effort worthwhile. Just needs a dribble of honey.

Cazza

I grow strawberries for the foxes and squirrels...and what they don't eat, the torn nets let in the blackbirds :beatdeadhorse5:

I love the first strawberry picking, I've had about 10lb so far this year!

My neighbor who has several allotment plots came home about 2-3 week ago with a blue plastic veg tray full tot he top of strawberries amongst many other items form his allotments :p

Yep - our strawberries have been great this year. Made a few jars of jam and plan to turn some into wine this weekend. Oh and had lots with ice cream and cream (clotted of course) too!

yer my neighbours special recipe is rhubarb champagne :)

But i have also seen some recipes about for strawberry voda and strawberry&vannila vodka. I wouldnt mind trying them they sound delish :)

been eating strawbs from my allotment for about 10 days

Two paltry handfulls this year - sandy soil and no rain (avid watering!) - given up - will compost and grow lettuce, Got nice row of parsnips and carrots tho.....

Two paltry handfulls this year - sandy soil and no rain (avid watering!) - given up - will compost and grow lettuce, Got nice row of parsnips and carrots tho.....

My soil is extremely sandy. It is possible to get a good crop but you have to dig in lots of compost. Then water and feed. Don't give up! Try again next year with more soil prep.
Cazza

Hi Cazza

Yep your're right about not enough compost - although I put on loads of fresh seaweed over winter on the bed that blew in from stomrs, so they have no excuse not to fruit - apart from their age.... 3 years old so probably due for renewal and creation of new strawberry bed....

got some great looking red gooseberries - just off to pick them.... and the blackbirds don't go for them.. everything else frutable is under net curtains...

My strawberries are a disaster so far. I've protected them from slugs and birds, mulched them with straw and now they are being eaten by mice:banghead:

Mice are a total nightmare this year, they've eaten one lot of broad beans, half my peas, 2 sowings of sweetcorn (I give up on these this year), nibbled my runnerbeans and dug up an in door sowing of beetroot. So far I've caught 6 but the damage continues:beatdeadhorse5:

Back