Storing Pollen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckwyns

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Quite a few, wife says too many!!
I have some spare frames of pollen and would like to know if I can store them for use later or is there a way of removing the pollen from the frames. At our local meeting recently, someone said you can store pollen if you cover it in honey but did not say how to get it out of the frame, any advice please.

I expect in the bee world they have away of storing and keeping it. Not sure how you would get it out of the comb. I am sure thnot worthyough unless you freeze it, it does not keep long.

Pollen is usually collected at entrance with gizmo not removed from frames.

I have some spare frames of pollen and would like to know if I can store them for use later or is there a way of removing the pollen from the frames. At our local meeting recently, someone said you can store pollen if you cover it in honey but did not say how to get it out of the frame, any advice please.

if theres no brood freezing them is the best way, saw a little tool for taikng pollen out of cells a while back, but itd take forever!!

treat them with sulphur to stop moulds, store them overwinter, then use to feed nuc's in spring

I use two of these 'expensive' gizmos, one from Th**nes sale (£5) plastic and one from Abelio (£12) wooden. The two of them are cheaper thn a bag of pollen and allows me to collect a wide variety of pollen for our pollen courses. I store Pollen in the freezer.

I use two of these 'expensive' gizmos, one from Th**nes sale (£5) plastic and one from Abelio (£12) wooden. The two of them are cheaper thn a bag of pollen and allows me to collect a wide variety of pollen for our pollen courses. I store Pollen in the freezer.

I must have been looking in the wrong place then because the ones I saw were a lot more expensive than that. Will have a better look around and will get one if as cheap as that. Thank you for the Gizmo info.

Best bought in the winter :)

Latest posts

Back