Stores equivalent of bakers' fondant

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeaBaileyBees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello

Does anyone know how much bakers' fondant it takes to result in the equivalent of 1lb (or 1kg, I don't mind) of stores in the hive? I know the ratio for syrup, but want to track my use of fondant also.

Many thanks

Fondant is around 11-12% water, honey is, say, 16-20% (apart from the odd ones higher than that). There will be an efficiency loss due to transfer - work done, etc - but it's there for you to work out.

Kcals are 'old hat'; the Joule is the unit used for energy these days and a simplistic gross energy content is not so useful (one solid, one a solution, maybe) and as you won't know whether the carbohydrate is used as a source of thermal energy or biomass.

Easy way to track your fondant - weigh what you have left after the winter and subtract it from the original stock, and any further purchases.

I would guess they are around about equivalent, but that is only a guess, and may not take into account capping which would be done on either - unless the fondant is fed as a winter supplement.

RAB

"Kcals are 'old hat'; the Joule is the unit used for energy these days "

so tell us how many Joules that is then, and how it being Joules effects the ratio

You can do it in BTUs or ergs, among others, if you really want to. Still 'old hat'.

SI units have been adopted for many years now.

The joule is defined as the work done when moving the point of application of a force of one Newton through a distance of one metre. You can look up the conversion factors using 'Goggle', I am sure.

Can' even remember mentioning 'ratio'.

You can do it in BTUs or ergs, among others, if you really want to. Still 'old hat'.

SI units have been adopted for many years now.

The joule is defined as the work done when moving the point of application of a force of one Newton through a distance of one metre. You can look up the conversion factors using 'Goggle', I am sure.

Can' even remember mentioning 'ratio'

The OP mentioned ratios, so actually units dont matter . I dont need to look up the factors of calories to joules. Do you know the electrical definitions of a Joule as well?

I'm probably not quite as accurate as RAB, but for argument's sake 1:1.

I do believe that the answer to to your last question is "YES", but doesn't require an extension to the thread. If the question wasn't rhetorical, then Google will certainly tell you more than you need to know.

Lea

Maybe I'm getting old but why are you asking this in August....surely it's better to just feed syrup next month until they won't take any more?.

I've always considered fondant only as an emergency feed in late Winter - because I hadn't fed properly in the previous Autumn.

Not being critical of your question but just querying why you're asking.

Richard

Coulomb of charge between potential difference of a volt or product of current and potential difference per unit time, but you could go deeper, to the charge on an electron and derive it from there, brings back memories of forces betwee parallel conductors carrying a current. Like beekeeping, usually more then one way to achieve an objective. They are all connected and are all simple and reasonably unified by the SI system. Specific heat of water is 4.18kJ, around 2.2MJ for the latent heat of evaporation. SI units of course.
Can't see what it may have to do with the thread, though.

You must remember I worked for the Refrigerated Steam Company, a long time ago?

Mass defects in atomic reactors pose little problem from the UK Atomic Energy Authority days either.

Never mind, E = mcc and everything has the same weight at the speed of light

Blimey, what a load of knobs some of you are!!!

Richard. I am keen not to over feed my bees when August is only just over. I have put fondant on as a slow feed during the Apiguard treatment, just to keep their spirits up. They are still flying, the queens are still laying, there is still limited forage (and will be a lot more when the ivy is fully out, as I am in the Forest of Dean) and I don't want to inhibit further laying by filling up the brood boxes too early. In two weeks I shall give them their proper syrup based winter feed. I'm a bit of a knob too (but not as much as some) and like to understand the implications of what I am doing. As I know how to convert the syrup feed into 'frame store' equivalents, I was curious to know the equivalent information for fondant. It was as simple as that.

Thank you to all who provided sensible replies.

Latest posts

Back