Stoneleigh March 2014 non BBKA Event

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seemed to me that the move to a university campus with reasonably priced accomodation was a good move, but why pick Harper Adams?

It seems to me that in this day and age many would wish to travel by Public Transport [rail] and it does not seem that Harper Adams is particularly convenient for this form of transport.

Universities are keen to get conference business and some good deals are available but a bit of haggling may be required.

I have heard comments from some who have attended that the facilities in the exhibition area leave a bit to be desired.

Have the organisers investigated several venues? Or just picked Harper Adams because it is an Agricultural establishment?

It seemed to me that the move to a university campus with reasonably priced accomodation was a good move, but why pick Harper Adams?

It seems to me that in this day and age many would wish to travel by Public Transport [rail] and it does not seem that Harper Adams is particularly convenient for this form of transport.

Universities are keen to get conference business and some good deals are available but a bit of haggling may be required.

I have heard comments from some who have attended that the facilities in the exhibition area leave a bit to be desired.

Have the organizers investigated several venues? Or just picked Harper Adams because it is an Agricultural establishment?

I suspect the venue was chosen as close to Stoneleigh by BBKA committee and Trustees ,

The National Honey show is to move next year but i suspect it will not move far from Weybridge as most of the comitee live close to the current venue

We suggested the Royal Vet College at Potters Bar .it's close to M25,A1M, Railway station, but not chosen ( Think Croydon has been suggested for NHS 2014)

I suspect the venue was chosen as close to Stoneleigh by BBKA committee and Trustees ,

Probably true - although trustees live all over the country. The BDI Agm was held at stoneleigh - I know there were some complaints. For events such as this London would be a better venue. Accessable to everyone by rail. CABK hold their one-day meetings here.

The National Honey show is to move next year but i suspect it will not move far from Weybridge as most of the comitee live close to the current venue

We suggested the Royal Vet College at Potters Bar .it's close to M25,A1M, Railway station, but not chosen ( Think Croydon has been suggested for NHS 2014)

The most recent NHS newsletter said that the venue would be announced at this years NHS.

For events such as this London would be a better venue. Accessable to everyone by rail. CABK hold their one-day meetings here.

The most recent NHS newsletter said that the venue would be announced at this years NHS.
If the two largest conferences in England were both held in or near London, that would suit me, but hardly fair on those with a longer journey.

Harper Adams suits those driving from the West Midlands and North West. it's a long way from the East, whether North, Midlands or South. And hardly convenient from the South or South West. If it is going to represent the whole of England, perhaps it should consider rotating venues annually. Or as a minimum the BBKA should be endorsing regional events by any local associations who wants to take on organising them.

If the two largest conferences in England were both held in or near London, that would suit me, but hardly fair on those with a longer journey.

Harper Adams suits those driving from the West Midlands and North West. it's a long way from the East, whether North, Midlands or South. And hardly convenient from the South or South West. If it is going to represent the whole of England, perhaps it should consider rotating venues annually. Or as a minimum the BBKA should be endorsing regional events by any local associations who wants to take on organising them.

Trouble with changing venues is that there is more planning to be done - particularly for any trade exhibition. Alternating between two venues solves this - you just have to pick up what you did the year before.

I wonder whether this new event, which seems to be just a trade show, has been set up by some of the traders who are dis-satisfied with the facilities at Harper Adams. Someone mentioned this in an earlier post. Why pick Stoneleigh though? Its hardly convenient.

Having been involved with organising national events for an IT community - it seemed that folks were happy to come to central London for a one day event. These were just lectures though - costs for an exhibition in Central London would be prohibitive. We held conferences - with both lectures and an exhibition - at York, Keele, Exeter, Sussex and Surrey universities - all of which were accessable by Rail.

Have the organisers investigated several venues? Or just picked Harper Adams because it is an Agricultural establishment?

Well i found it pretty good - good vehicular access (you won't bring much sale kit back home on the train) and plenty of exhibition space in the large sheds and room for more and although the location is not ideal - where is? - fed up of london assuming it's the centre of the universe it's nice to see some shows out more this way.
Last year was obviously a big improvement on the first year - let's hope next year is even better. Harper Adams gets my vote anyway

I can confirm that plans are being drawn together to hold such an event. The organiser is ex BBKA and never wanted the event to be moved so has put a team together to organise the event. I had heard that some of the big boys were reluctant to attend although if they were to make additional sales and not just the same amount but in two halves I am sure they will be there.
Not sure about the content of lectures and workshops and if it will be a multi day event.
I have been involved previously in organising large events and if they want to make it pay with enough footfall they need to be getting the advertising rolling ASAP.
Strikes me if they really wanted to challenge the conference they would of had it the same weekend, but probably realise they would lose out. Personally I would have held it in October.
Guess we punters are really on a win win unless both shows get watered down so neither are worth the entrance fee.
Not expecting to see any ads in BBKA news for it. Also BBKA should be starting to promote theirs sooner and bolder so as not to let the rivals get a head start.
I was there in 2012 and there was a bad flood which meant duckboards had to be put under stands. Overnight a trader's book pages were turning due to the dampness, another lifted a box on the Saturday and the wet bottom fell out. In 2013 it was cold, damp, dirty and badly lit and access was bad for the later visitors (nearly half a mile to walk). The traders I now understand have us to have a stand at Stoneleigh and asking questions find that both the Warwick and Stareton Halls are full with traders. Having attended a local meeting I was told that some members had visited Stoneleigh in the past but had never been to Harper Adams, it was too far to go in one day and come back. It was the traders who made the decision to go back to Stoneleigh with Tony Grey being the leader.

If you live in North Wales of course Harper Adams would get your vote, however most beekeepers live in southern England which makes Stoneleigh nearer. There will be more traders at Stoneleigh than at Harper Adams, I mean traders as opposed to charities. If you want to buy well with cheap access go to Stoneleigh. If all you want is education, then go to Harper Adams with more expensive access.

I very much doubt the venue will be changed annually. Central London is a long way form most of the country. To get exhibition facilities any where in the home counties would be more expensive than Stoneleigh. Several years ago an inquiry was made at the National Exhibition Center and the cost was far too much. Access for the traders and the public is far better at Stoneleigh. Let's be honest Stoneleigh is far better for the traders and the trade exhibition, but Harper Adams far better for education.

I hope it is a massive success which will give beekeepers a bigger choice

Lecture theatres, workshop spaces and exhibition halls, all warm and dry with lots of hard standing parking, near a motorway and easy rail access. Which is great until you see how much anyone with that range of facilities is going to charge and most will be quoting in the tens of pounds "per delegate" per day range.

If you live in North Wales of course Harper Adams would get your vote, however most beekeepers live in southern England which makes Stoneleigh nearer. There will be more traders at Stoneleigh than at Harper Adams, I mean traders as opposed to charities. If you want to buy well with cheap access go to Stoneleigh. If all you want is education, then go to Harper Adams with more expensive access.

Plugging something by any chance?

I was at Harper Adams this year - trade stands within easy walking distance of cars, a 'baggage creche' so you could leave all your kit and collect it at the end of the day no rain, no mud, no cold, no damp no duckboards - loads of space. More trade stands that you could shake a stick (or a wad of tenners) at. Only complaint I have is that the drinks and snacks were far too cheap for the high quality offered and on the second day some dishevelled jetlagged looking individual in a PINK jacket latched on to me trying to convince me he was a high ranking clergyman in mufti.

Clutching at straws now to draw custom are we?

Last edited:
Lecture theatres, workshop spaces and exhibition halls, all warm and dry with lots of hard standing parking, near a motorway and easy rail access.

Sounds like Harper Adams - or the Royal Welsh showground!

Last edited:
Ask the traders whether it was cold or damp. The only reason there was food inside the halls was quite simply there were fewer traders in 2013 than 2012, i.e. after only one year at Harper Adams traders were stopping to come. Look at the brochures for the two years.

No, quite simply from those of us in Suffolk and indeed anyone in the South East Stoneleigh is somewhat nearer with halls with carpets and the rooms not cold or damp.

Ask the traders whether it was cold or damp. The only reason there was food inside the halls was quite simply there were fewer traders in 2013 than 2012, i.e. after only one year at Harper Adams traders were stopping to come. Look at the brochures for the two years.

problem is how many beekeepers know of the 1st March event, I would have thought a simple email to branch Sec or chairman would have been carried out, Those emails are readily available in public BBKA publication or other sites

Only seen so far adverts in the Bee Craft Mags, well that reaches about 5% of our members

Promote your own show by all means (although it's slightly off the forum ethos). but don't rubbish the other one.
All I can see happening is that the jam will be spread out too thinly, it will all end in tears and only the beekeeper will suffer

Latest posts

Back