Stolen Dog

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dear Tom,

Really sorry you have not yet heard about your dog, Dusty.
Awful to lose a pet and close companion like that; you always wonder.....

Couple of things:

1) Can you please confirm that I am not the companion in question?

Someone thought this sentence from your post referred to me:

And then if they take him out for a walk no matter on the size, breed, sex, if Dusty thinks the dog is good fun he wants to mount it and wont stop for no one the mist descends and he has one mission in life, he does not know why he does it, he does not think is this the right end, he has not got the tackle to see it through. I have become hardened to this over the years and proud of the pelvic action but I wonder if the person who took him is ready for it.

2) My wife says she's willing to let me go for a good price.

Says she'll pay any reasonable amount.

Hope you may hear something after the BH weekend.

Dusty

personally to me this does bring up one point, i strongly belive that all vets should routenly scan for tags when dealing with new dogs and old as well as looking for scars due to tag removels.

in fact it should become a standard operating proceedure

our vet does scan our dogs routinely, he's checking that the chip hasn't moved too far. but what do you suggest the vet does if he finds the details don't match?

many many dogs are re-homed for many reasons, they often change hands through gumtree, facebook, trade-it etc, and changing the registration details is not at the forefront of peoples minds when they do it. so telling the vet that they had just re-homed or 'rescued' the dog with a sob story to back it up is likely to be enough to convince a vet that everything is ok.

remember that they are doctors not policemen :)

Our vet just scans the chip - she doesn't check the number with the cats' papers.
Just as well. With 17 cats, we'd be there all day...

On the down-side I guess that most people who know they have a stolen pet, and many who have picked up an apparent stray, would not take it to a vet if they knew the vet would scan it, check it against a register and report it if it didn't match.

Too many animals wouldn't get the treatment they need, some would be turfed out when ill, and some thieves might even discard the sick one and replace it with another stolen one.

It's probably better for vets to be impartial.

There are a lot of two leg animals that should be chipped........:cuss::cuss::cuss:
Hope you get him back.

Dear Tom,

Really sorry you have not yet heard about your dog, Dusty.
Awful to lose a pet and close companion like that; you always wonder.....

Couple of things:

1) Can you please confirm that I am not the companion in question?

Someone thought this sentence from your post referred to me:

And then if they take him out for a walk no matter on the size, breed, sex, if Dusty thinks the dog is good fun he wants to mount it and wont stop for no one the mist descends and he has one mission in life, he does not know why he does it, he does not think is this the right end, he has not got the tackle to see it through. I have become hardened to this over the years and proud of the pelvic action but I wonder if the person who took him is ready for it.

2) My wife says she's willing to let me go for a good price.

Says she'll pay any reasonable amount.

Hope you may hear something after the BH weekend.

Dusty

I dont know Dusty from the angle of your photo its hard to say.

The Dusty I know does not have the tools in the tool box to give me any paternity suit's to deal with :D

sorry to read this tom,

Thanks for that

I am so sorry Tom. I will keep good thoughts for his speedy return.

I have would be beside myself. He looks like a wonderful boy, I hope you are reunited very soon!

Thanks Vermillion I also hope he is back very soon. It sort of puts us in a bad light this sort of thing.

Oh Tom, Stan and I are both so sorry. He is a lovely dog. Keeping fingers crossed.

Thanks. We were up in Cumbria a few weeks ago and spotted a few lovely Patterdales out walking.

just back from a scout round as I had a call from one of the posters, a teenager not a greatly convincing call but I had to check and pin a few more posters in that area. The next call may be the right one.

I am afraid that to me if vets don't scan or don't check the animal is the correct one there is little point in chipping.
As long as the RSPCA and/or police can scan 'suspect' animals, and rescue centres can scan collected or handed in strays, that's probably about the best that can be done.

Perhaps a stop-and-scan system should be allowed. This would encourage people to keep the register updated if the sell an animal and discourage theft if they thought they might get stopped when out walking a dog.

I think, though, that vets reporting mismatched chips automatically could end in far worse, for a sick animal, than not being returned to its rightful owner.

Any update, Tom?

D

A call this morning with a reasonably good sighting at a park not so many miles up the river Brent.

Went straight over but the dog had gone. Went back tonight to see if he appeared in the same spot at dusk but no sighting. I may get over early in the morning to check out the park again.

This is a big park with the River Brent running through it and two golf courses on the other side of the river, woods and a cricket pitch surrounded by meadows. Plenty of places for a lost dog to hide during the day and come out at night scavenging for food.

We need another good sighting in the park if possible then we can be definite he is using the park and then we can start feeding in a quiet sheltered place every day at the same time to drawer him out.

The things I have learnt about lost dogs over the last 8 days is something else, they can survive many week if not months and revert to a life similar to a fox lay low during the day and move at night and move within a triangle of three safe places.

If you get three good sightings in three locations you almost have the triangle and then you can concentrate the search within the triangle. It can get more complicated depending how long he remains lost but we will cross that bridge if we get that far.

Despite the sighting I think someone has him but I have to follow up the sightings all the same. Today we had a couple of young lads suspiciously walking down the towpath and were giving good interest in the boat where Dusty went missing they then dipped down a gap in the hedge and you would only go that way if you wanted to disappear fast.

Never give up hope - last year my neighbour sent one of her dogs up to North Wales to be mated - dunno what breed small long haired yappy toy dog about the size of a small yorkie - definitely not a spaniel or a foxhound! the kind of thing you would bet would last all of five minutes in the big bad world. Anyway she got out onto the mountain and was sighted regularly in spots some three miles apart. Found a month later safe and well, just a little bit thinner miles away from where she escaped - good luck, yours looks the type who can fend for himself easily.

I am afraid that to me if vets don't scan or don't check the animal is the correct one there is little point in chipping.

i wont bang on about this because we are hoping for a lost dog to be found, but its because apathetic people dont check the tags, and change the owners details this the tag people that things goes wrong, i have two rescue whippets called the tag people told them, they called the whippet rescue ( fantastic people) job done simples same number, change of address done and dusted in 10 mins

second point dont every mention the rspca when talking about rescue animals, i for one find it deeply offensive,

at least we are now talking lost dog rather than stolen dog which for me in brum is the norm, they pinch the dog call up from the dog tags and away you go, no tags and they just dump the dog, it has crossed my mind to remove the tags for that reason and hope that the dog warden scans the chips instead, or just turn up with the all england shotgun shooting team in tow:eek:

i can see alot of walkies without the dog in that park over the next few weeks,

good luck ,hedgy

One possible solution to finding a dog that has got lost, if you know the approximate area, is to place something that they know smells of home or the family pack (old jacket of yours, bedding) in a dry place. They smell it, and may settle down on it for you to find later. Don't put food on it as that will attract other animals, but something that they will recognize by smell.

Hope you find him safe and well soon.

good luck hopefully dusty will be back with you soon best wishes and good thoughts for your serch

Any news, Tom?

Been wondering all week if you've heard anything.

Dusty

I received a call on Wednesday of a dog that looked lost and on its own in a local park similar to Dusty, the dog was watched for a while and then disappeared out of the park and went down a main road.

I dont know if this was Dusty but I posted a number of posters in the hope others have spotted the dog.

My instincts are still that someone has Dusty but it is possible they have got board with him and put him out somewhere.

I am still confident I will get him back.

We have just been adopted by a cat. Took him to Cats Protection who scanned him. Turned out he was their rehome cat, sent to live 200yds from us and dissapeared as soon as let out 4 months ago! The original owner didn't want him back as she had replaced him - so my daughter is now blissful in her bedroom with a puss called Raffles...THEY DO REAPPEAR - and I truly hope yours does x

Latest posts

Back