Mentor took Q away

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds feasible. I have a 5 frame nuc a National deep and a 3 frame nuc.
Not sure how to sieve the bees into any other box than the deep.
Once done will I need to stuff the entrance with grass?

PS there were many more bees than I expected when I last looked at the hive on Monday ( to check for eggs) I am now wondering if the newly mated Q brought back some followers

Yes I have a deep above QX but I’ve been and done the manipulation.
Confused to find 4 sealed QC’s in the BB ???
I made up a nuc with donated QC, minimal brood and full frame of stores and shook three frames of bees in.
I wasn’t sure what to do with the QC’s so took them down bar 1.closed the hive. Bee’s very agitated. My fault I know
Very confusing

The larvae in QCs can’t have been young enough to become viable surely???

There shouldn't be any of a viable age unless they were laid by a new Queen. If they are from the new Queen then her pheromones may not be strong enough or they are hedging their bets until happy with her.
For now you need to let them and her be and give them some peace and quiet.

Yes I have a deep above QX but I’ve been and done the manipulation.
Confused to find 4 sealed QC’s in the BB ???
I made up a nuc with donated QC, minimal brood and full frame of stores and shook three frames of bees in.
I wasn’t sure what to do with the QC’s so took them down bar 1.closed the hive. Bee’s very agitated. My fault I know
Very confusing
Apologies, I hadn't read back enough/remembered that you had a super on!

There shouldn't be any of a viable age unless they were laid by a new Queen. If they are from the new Queen then her pheromones may not be strong enough or they are hedging their bets until happy with her.
For now you need to let them and her be and give them some peace and quiet.
Yes I realise I have been too keen thanks

I carried out an A/S on May 13th transfering 2 6d QC's over with all but one frame of brood.
Last week I saw a few eggs but mostly very poor laying pattern and multiple eggs in cells though these were on the cell bottoms , I consdidered LW's but owing to the calm demeanour of the colony nnd the nice area of polished cells I deemed that the Q being new wasn't up to speed and as sometimes can happen one sees initally a poor laying pattern.
Today I could confirmed a better nicer laying pattern and the Q on the comb, the eggs I saw last week were sealed and in quite an erratic laid manner. Two frames laid up a bit erratically and three frames almost a perfect looking pattern.
Rain has stopped now so back with a super and some drawn brood frames to give her more laying room, they have been busy back filling the brood frames with nectar.

Latest posts

Back