Stolen Bees - Help!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Setup some trip wires and flashbangs, that will scare the sh.t out of them.

Never ever share the location of hives / apiaries with anyone. Never offer to host assoc meetings. If selling bees or queens never sell from a location where you hold stocks of your bees.

Never use Bees in transit signs or move equipment without covering.

Make sure the Bee inspector is trustworthy, you never know who he is chatting to, even inadvertently.

Never ever share the location of hives / apiaries with anyone. Never offer to host assoc meetings. If selling bees or queens never sell from a location where you hold stocks of your bees.

Make sure the Bee inspector is trustworthy, you never know who he is chatting to, even inadvertently.

How?

Well, you tell me ?

Law suit pending there and I would think FERA do a bit more than a casual background check on employees(sp)?

Russ

Law suit pending there and I would think FERA do a bit more than a casual background check on employees(sp)?

I don't think so; the poster was simply referring to not passing on any information about your bees to anyone else, as innocent as that might seem to be, so 'confidence trustworthyness' not criminal intent!

I don't think so; the poster was simply referring to not passing on any information about your bees to anyone else, as innocent as that might seem to be, so 'confidence trustworthyness' not criminal intent!

There certainly would be if you took the trip wire advice and someone happened trip over them, crooks included.

My dad always told me don't trust anyone, that is probably why I'm so paranoid now, I would not like to think that bee inspectors are that way inclined and if they are implicated somewhat, probably down to just general chat to criminals unknown to him/her.

Buy a Gun and let it be know your not frightened to use it :reddevil:

I have some bees in woodland, there is a sign up stating that everything is smartwater marked, is it or not the owners are the only people to know!!!!

How are bees typically stolen? The whole hive? The brood box? Or just the frames? I'm wondering exactly what I need to be thinking about securing.

How are bees typically stolen? The whole hive? The brood box? Or just the frames? I'm wondering exactly what I need to be thinking about securing.

It varies .. generally it's the whole hive as it's probably easier to just block up the entrance, strap the boxes together and onto the truck. But there have been instances where the 'best' bits of kit and just supers have been taken ~ with a bit of mixing and matching ~ but you would need to be a beekeeper to be able to know what you are looking for and do it without getting the bees all riled up.

They took my entire hive. I suspect that it was just the frames that they were after and the OMFs, BBs and supers will be dumped as they are easily recognisable.

Moved my bees this afternoon, a farmer has allowed me the use of a small site on a hill overlooking a water meadow. Very hidden- hopefully I'll have no more problems.

Latest posts

Back