Sting reactions

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bakerbee

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
5 commercials no more😭
While i was out in the garden planting crocus bulbs on the weekend i was stung by one of my bees. It had got inside my jumper without me realizing and it was only once i got inside that it stung me. Boy did i notice then. Much more painful than normal. I have a fairly bad reaction to stings. Nothing for first 12-24hrs then poof. Huge swelling itching the works for about 5 days. Antihistamines dont seem to do much and my doctors were vague on advice. So my question is ... is there a way to desensitize this type of reaction. Ive read some try to get stung 20 times a year but does this actually work? Ive read about desensitisation courses but are they only for anaphalactic sufferes? My reactions are not enough to put me off keeping bees but it would be great to have less of a reaction.

Stings appear to hurt more on tender skin..probably because the stinger can penetrate deeper and the surrounding tissue is tender.

When I started beekeeping in 2010, I had one sting on my right forearm which swelled up and wept for about a week. Sting on the back of my hands would swell and take 2-3 days to subside. Stings on the palm or the palm side of fingers hardly swelled at all.

After about 3-4 years of 40-50 stings a year, I became immune to swelling except on the soft tissue on the back of hands between tendons which swell a little for about 12 hours- gone by next day. Stings on legs, face, ears,septum (!!), throat and under eyes appear to produce minimal reactions.

This does not means stings do not hurt - they do (septum brought tears)..but after effects are minimal.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Thank you, yes it does. This last one was on the chest. So agree it hurt as in softer flesh. I dont mind the pain its the reaction afterwards and the itching, i had read the whole sticky thread on desensitisation therapy which was very interesting but really for people who suffer serious allergies, and not really applicable to me. I did however learn interestingly venom reacts with blood pressure tablets and ibuprofen, making them worse. I take bp tablets and always pop an ibuprofen once stung to help with swelling. I might try to avoid the anti inflamatory and see if it helps next time. The bp tablets, well im not stopping them lol.

1% hydrocortisone wasp and bee sting cream - major supermarkets c£3 - helps.

I have a fairly bad reaction to stings. Nothing for first 12-24hrs then poof. Huge swelling itching the works for about 5days. My reactions are not enough to put me off keeping bees but it would be great to have less of a reaction.

Firstly, you should not be taking ibuprofen or any similar based painkillers for stings.

What you describe is not a bad reaction.
Define "Huge swelling", stings close to bone will have more visible swelling as they can't swell into soft tissue.
The longer the sting has to inject venom the greater the reaction will be.

I'm not too surprised the doctors won't waste their time when they have sick people to treat, desensitising is more for those who are showing allergic reactions.

Last edited:
Sorry your Gp advice was vague. How soon after being stung did you take the antihistamine? I now no longer react to stings, but reaction can be funny. I could be stung tomorrow and go into full blown anaphylaxis, albeit unlikely. Ibuprofen etc will aggravate your reaction. Try taking an antihistamine ( non drowsy type) before you work your bees. If you are unhappy with future reactions I suggest you see a GP again.
Dr. Ex

Well martinl im not sure a thankyou is appropriate to you. If you had read the thread i am aware of ibuprofen reactions to bee venom so why point it out again. This is the beginners section and your comments were read as if childing a child. As for the doctors. I didnt go to them this time but was given no helpful advice last time, when stung on the face i swelled so badly i could not open my eyes for 4 days. I count that visit as hardly wasting their time. If you cant respond kindly or helpfully might i suggest not commenting to new beeks. This new beek will not be intimidated. To everyone else thank you for you comments they are greatly appreciated.

I rather doubt intimidation was intended.

The boittom line is that all of us react differently and there is not a one size fits all answer.

I have been stung thousands of times over the years and a sting in the same place on different occasions can hurt more or less depending (I think) on the strength of venom that individual bee happens to have. After all each bee is an individual.

The only safe answer is to keep a close eye on your reactions, possibly a "sting diary" and if it is getting worse then back to the GP and push them a bit. Bear in mind though its a pretty unusual niche and the answer will most likely be the safe one. Give it up. But they have to keep professional bodies and so on in mind.

Good luck

PH

Thanks PH if you allow yourself to keep getting stung does it lessen your reaction overall? Somewhere i read some people swear by it im interested in your thoughts. I wonder if again its an individual thing and works for some and not for others.

.. .. .. when stung on the face i swelled so badly i could not open my eyes for 4 days.

Whilst I can't recommend it, a sting to the septum will bring water to your eyes but amazingly, leave very little swelling.
As I said before stings to thin skin on the skull do not allow the swelling to go anywhere but outward, resulting in what looks to be a catastrophic reaction.

The names, "Klingon" or "Elephant man" are often used as adjectives in such cases. It is one of the key reasons PPE is designed primarily to protect the head. :spy:

Well i must be a strange one as my sting is on my chest and it looks on day 3 like i have an extra breast! Im thinking 3 breasted lady from arni film total recall:smilielol5:

I eliminate the itching by putting a hair drier close as I can bare to the infected area for as long as I can. Also works on horsefly bites.
The heat will destroy the protein in the sting/bit

The reaction to stings quite often can be greater with each sting. I found this, to the point where my GP advised giving up. I found an article which escapes me, where it advises each spring to take 1 aspirin and 2 piriton, 30minutes before grasping your bee to ensure a sting. More difficult than you might think at that time of year.
I did that for 3 years then let it slip, my reactions are minimal. Not for those with a serious reaction of course.

A couple little pointers:

If you get stung with little initial reaction only then to go on to develop severe swelling a day or two later be mindful that it may be a result of an infected sting. Not common but nevertheless something to bear in mind. Also, if the swelling is down to an infection applying hydrocortisone is not a good idea.

There is a condition called mastocytosis which makes people more susceptible to reacting to bees stings. If you have persistently bad but not necessarily anaphylactic reactions it may be worth getting checked out.

Well i must be a strange one as my sting is on my chest and it looks on day 3 like i have an extra breast! Im thinking 3 breasted lady from arni film total recall:smilielol5:

Be careful your MP might ask for a picture, (for research purposes of course)!

Desensitize yourself ....get stung more

If I reacted as the OP describes I'd be more inclined to not get stung at all.
Must say I'm one of the lucky ones (up to now anyway), been stung 4 times this year. No reaction at all, 2 of them I didn't realise I'd been stung until I saw the sting left in my arm and my hand.
Wingy

If I reacted as the OP describes I'd be more inclined to not get stung at all.
Must say I'm one of the lucky ones (up to now anyway), been stung 4 times this year. No reaction at all, 2 of them I didn't realise I'd been stung until I saw the sting left in my arm and my hand.
Wingy

If you have more than 2 hives, the chances of multiple stings rise a lot...

Latest posts

Back