Sting reactions

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A good slug of your favourite spirit certainly helps !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well i must be a strange one as my sting is on my chest and it looks on day 3 like i have an extra breast! Im thinking 3 breasted lady from arni film total recall:smilielol5:

:laughing-smiley-004, Have a read up on these suits, i have no reaction what so ever to bee stings but that does not mean i enjoy getting zapped, quite the opposite and i avoid stings at all costs simply because i am a big baby lol, hopefully i will be getting one of these suits for Xmas as it is also a good suit to wear on those warm summer days when inspecting and doing the chores.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BEEKEEPI...-COTTON-ULTRA-COOL-FENCING-VEIL-/132214337827

Last edited:
That one is a lot less ventilated than the three layer one I got. Check out their web site and look at the three layer ventilated suits, the difference in where the open mesh is is obvious.

Cheers for that is there a UK seller for the half/jacket 3 layer ventilated bee suit.

Sorry OP if it looks like i am hijacking your thread but this may well help you out.

Desensitize yourself ....get stung more

I hear about desensitisation courses, but am not convinced.

in the last few years...

my record is 27 stings at once. Felt giddy and sweaty, and the armpit sting hurt for days.

often get stung on the wrist that swells for a couple of hours.

got stung on the back of the hand, and had a lump for 8 months.

got stung three times on the back of the neck, and my face blew up like a balloon to the point I could barely see. (which is not usual!)

my point is, personally, I am not convinced it is the amount you are stung, or the frequency. I believe it is 'where' you are stung, and as Karol says, whether it is infected.

I should also add the majority of stings (to me!) are no worse than a pin prick, as long as the stinger is 'scraped' out and not pinched. Sharp enough to want avoid being stung, but not enough to put you off beekeeping.

The first couple of stings, sit down and don't panic, and try not to be alone. Follow proper medical advice and not a from forum medic.
Stings and reactions vary from person to person, and the location of the sting matters. 'most' people have no issues...

I hear about desensitisation courses, but am not convinced.

in the last few years...

my record is 27 stings at once. Felt giddy and sweaty, and the armpit sting hurt for days.

often get stung on the wrist that swells for a couple of hours.

got stung on the back of the hand, and had a lump for 8 months.

got stung three times on the back of the neck, and my face blew up like a balloon to the point I could barely see. (which is not usual!)

my point is, personally, I am not convinced it is the amount you are stung, or the frequency. I believe it is 'where' you are stung, and as Karol says, whether it is infected.

I should also add the majority of stings (to me!) are no worse than a pin prick, as long as the stinger is 'scraped' out and not pinched. Sharp enough to want avoid being stung, but not enough to put you off beekeeping.

The first couple of stings, sit down and don't panic, and try not to be alone. Follow proper medical advice and not a from forum medic.
Stings and reactions vary from person to person, and the location of the sting matters. 'most' people have no issues...

:iagree:
When stung on hands and forearms, I usually expect a few days with fairly bad swelling. I need to use my hands for work so try to avoid stings but they happen, even through your suit. Oddly, stings to body are just a minor inconvenience.
Multiple stings are never a good thing so never outstay your welcome. If they are moody, close them up and come back another day.

All I can say Bakerbee is as the season progresses it don't seem to hurt as much so yes there seems to be a process of .......call it the body adjusting.

PH

For me its the itching, usually starts at around 24hrs after sting and lasts for 3 to 7 days depending on where the sting is. Deffo much better when scraped out instead of pinched out, however Ive also learned that prompt removal is also important but sometimes you're right in the middle of something and cant just drop everything to remove the sting. Meds dont seem to help either. Next season I will try to keep vinegar nearby and apply immediately after sting removal. I remember rubbing washing up liquid over a wasp sting as a teenager and that helped.

For me its the itching, usually starts at around 24hrs after sting and lasts for 3 to 7 days depending on where the sting is. Deffo much better when scraped out instead of pinched out, however Ive also learned that prompt removal is also important but sometimes you're right in the middle of something and cant just drop everything to remove the sting. Meds dont seem to help either. Next season I will try to keep vinegar nearby and apply immediately after sting removal. I remember rubbing washing up liquid over a wasp sting as a teenager and that helped.

Ammonia pen is quick and easy ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vinegar is an Acid (H+ ions), Ammonia is an Alkali (OH- ions).

I can understand that one would work by reacting with the sting, I am told that bee stings are Acidic (ergo the Ammonia should work, Vinegar, should, if anything, make it worse!) and that Wasp stings are Alkali, hence Vinegar should work on them.

To an extent.

The Ionic nature of Vinegar or Ammonia probably makes them effective disinfectants though.

I have a design for a "British Beekeepers Suit", which I stole from "The Navy" :)

Attachments

• 200px-British_navy_frogman.jpg
    200px-British_navy_frogman.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 20

Vinegar (acid) for vespa (wasps) and bicarbonate (alkali) for bee stings is what I learned in the Boy Scouts - got my first aid badge too c.1953

Vinegar (acid) for vespa (wasps) and bicarbonate (alkali) for bee stings is what I learned in the Boy Scouts - got my first aid badge too c.1953

Remember the old 'blue bags'? Great for bee stings. One of my dogs came in after taking a hammering off a Wasp colony, he was trembling and looking really out of sorts. Got the vinegar on him and he was back to himself in minutes.

Haha love that picture. Re: bee suits, i got mine off the internet and havent been stung using it yet. I dont know its quality but figure no stings yet (whilst wearing it)is showing its doing the job.

Hadn't the vinegar and bicarb applications been debunked?
I thought I'd read that, with the stings being subcutaneous, these applications to the skin have little effect.
Bit like Doc leaves and nettle stings, there's a psychological component relating to rubbing and a slight cooling effect from the sap, but no medicinal effect.
But hey, if it works for your dog, why not! :D

Hadn't the vinegar and bicarb applications been debunked?
I thought I'd read that, with the stings being subcutaneous, these applications to the skin have little effect.
Bit like Doc leaves and nettle stings, there's a psychological component relating to rubbing and a slight cooling effect from the sap, but no medicinal effect.
But hey, if it works for your dog, why not! :D

People scoff at quite a lot these days, usually because they read something. I don't make a habit of dealing in hearsay, the fact is vinegar certainly worked.

I'd had to look into it because people kept asking in school.
Makes no difference there, because with all the H&S stuff we can only apply water and a paper towel. :D
It's why all the incident reports are the same, "A cold compress was applied...!" ;)
An ice cube usually does the trick, but usually more of it gets sucked by the little darling than rubbed on the sting anyway!
Bit like the magic 50p on bus trips, anything to take their mind off it.
And hey, I'm a strong proponent of such things, I actively indulge in homeopathy, I drink litres of tap water each day! :D

I'd had to look into it because people kept asking in school.
Makes no difference there, because with all the H&S stuff we can only apply water and a paper towel. :D
It's why all the incident reports are the same, "A cold compress was applied...!" ;)
An ice cube usually does the trick, but usually more of it gets sucked by the little darling than rubbed on the sting anyway!
Bit like the magic 50p on bus trips, anything to take their mind off it.
And hey, I'm a strong proponent of such things, I actively indulge in homeopathy, I drink litres of tap water each day! :D

:icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

Back