Still worried - is this video showing robbing?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jxl98c

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi all,

I posted in this forum a day or so ago where I was worrying that Irobbing and that my robbing countermeasures had killed a load of my bees...

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=26309

Having taken on board the advice from that thread I removed the robbing screens and everything return back to the busy behaviour I was originally worrying about - I'm still concerned it may be robbing so I've wedged a side bar from a super frame with a brick to reduce the entrances on my hives to 1 bee space as a compromise.

I've taken a video and would like some expert opinion - is there something suspicious going on here? (Sorry, the video is 75mb). This was taken 9am this morning - it will look like that until 9pm tonight and will likely get busier.

http://www.rupc.co.uk/bees/is_this_robbing.mp4

Any help would be massively appreciated.

:hairpull:

Cant see any sign of robbing. I think you would see bees fighting on the outside. Just looks to me like they are queueing to get in.

Having said that, my answers are usually shot down in flames by the angry brigade!

Cant see any sign of robbing. I think you would see bees fighting on the outside. Just looks to me like they are queueing to get in.

Having said that, my answers are usually shot down in flames by the angry brigade!

Do you have a feeder on? I've found that when a feeder is on, the bees can't tell the others it's above them so you'll get them flying out and then resettling or crawling up the outside then queuing to get back in on a reduced entrance. Just an observation I've made.

Do you have a feeder on? I've found that when a feeder is on, the bees can't tell the others it's above them so you'll get them flying out and then resettling or crawling up the outside then queuing to get back in on a reduced entrance. Just an observation I've made.

That is a very sensible observation.
Cazza

Bingo! I knew this and I'd read this in my books! It's 110% this - I can't believe I didn't think of it. Thank you Roola - you've made my weekend!

I've just been on holiday for 3 weeks and stuffed a load of feed in the roof of the hive in case the weather turned sour before I got back. The busy hive still has some left.

That's a real weight off my mind - my hive entrances have been restored to normal - the panic is over - a celebratory cuppa is in full swing.

:thanks:

Latest posts

Back