Tits!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sutty

From Glossop, North Derbyshire, UK
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 to 12!
I thought that would get your attention 😁

I have several great tits that keep hopping around near my hives and appear to be snacking on fallen bees. I can't tell whether live or dead bees, I haven't seen them at the hive entrances at least!
Anyone else had this? Not much I can do about it even if they are harvesting live bees!

I doubt they will do much damage and are being opportunist, chicks and mouths to feed they are after easy picking providing protein. Hopefully they are taking just the old/ tired bees that fall to the ground or older dying ones, most colonies will show a small amount of dead/dying bees scattered in front of a colony .

Sometimes get several around. First time yesterday saw one right by the entrance to a hive. I can't see that they can eat so many to make a difference even if they are picking off live ones.

I have several great tits that keep hopping around near my hives and appear to be snacking on fallen bees. I can't tell whether live or dead bees, I haven't

There's been a birdbox very high up on my house wall, for years it wasn't used but since putting hives in the garden Great Tits use it every year 😅

I’ve seen tits, robins and sparrows taking bees this year. I think mainly drones which have been intermittently evicted from the hives after splitting.
There has been a dearth of caterpillars and grubs this year I think. A distinct lack of butterflies too.

Another case for opting for UFE's
I doubt that would make much difference,
:iagree: all my hives have UFE's, and at the home apiary, I have a resident robin, a group of bluetits and a few blackbirds helping to clear the casualties away

My resident garden Robin regularly snacks on any bees on.the ground outside the hives but I can't tell whether it is live or dead bees he picks up. Can't think there is much nutritional value in them but I suppose its easy pickings.

I thought that would get your attention 😁

I have several great tits that keep hopping around near my hives and appear to be snacking on fallen bees. I can't tell whether live or dead bees, I haven't seen them at the hive entrances at least!
Anyone else had this? Not much I can do about it even if they are harvesting live bees!
Sparrows normally.
When I ran TBHs with perches at entrance , I had to wire them off with chicken wire as the sparrows perched on the landing board to catch bees.

There has been a dearth of caterpillars and grubs this year I think. A distinct lack of butterflies too.
Indeed. Blue tits abandoned their nests here. Only the really early birds succeeded in raising their young. The tits, woodpeckers robins and blackbirds have all had regular supplies of mealworms in the rain.

Indeed. Blue tits abandoned their nests here. Only the really early birds succeeded in raising their young. The tits, woodpeckers robins and blackbirds have all had regular supplies of mealworms in the rain.
starlings in the roof did well with us this year - the ones in the front soffit have just hatched the second clutch, magpie youngsters from the leylandii next door are out and about stealing the cat's dinner and we have quite a few blackbird youngsters kicking around.

This spring tits were at the hives, about dozen of them.. In a moment was thinking to take some actions.. Then I saw couple dead ones in front of hives - bees managed to sort that. After that I saw few times one or two which don't spent much time around..

I’ve seen tits, robins and sparrows taking bees this year. I think mainly drones which have been intermittently evicted from the hives after splitting.
Agreed. I’ve netted my cabbages against butterflies and not seen one yet.

Latest posts

Back