Hi from a complete novice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adambasey

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi all. I am starting a Beekeeping course in October this year and am trying in the meantime to gather as much information as possible. I've never done this before or even been around a hive so any information, tips, hints or just help in general would be great.

Thanks in advance

I started a very good 6-month beginners course in January of 2023. My intention was to have 1 or 2 colonies in the back garden.

Caught my first swarm that June.
I now have 14 colonies across 2 apiaries.

Hopefully you'll get the bug and read and watch as much as you can.
There's a huge difference between theory and practice. Intellectually knowing what to do, and being able to actually do it, takes time and practice.

Last edited:
Dont buy any kit until you know you are OK round a few thousand bees and then buy the best you can afford
Welcome from someone who started off with wanting a few bees in the garden ....... 45 odd years ago🤔

Yes, this week! You may like it, you may decide against; best find out.
More than one person has given up when bees surround them and every landing may be the precursor for a bee sting.. Or not.
Buy nothing - as above - until you know you like it..

I hope you love it but you need to know if you’re ok with your hands in something like this
Exactly, we had a guy turn up at the association who had spent a fortune on hives, super suit and much more only to freak out at the prospect of putting his hands in a box of 50,000 stinging insects!

I think there's something very deeply wired into our psyche that means the "normal" response to the high-pitched whine of flying insects is to get away as fast as possible. I'd not be surprised if it originates from a time long before Homo sapiens.

Though it was many years ago, I still recall that the first time a hive "boiled over" when I took off the crown board it took a considerable act of will to take a few deep breaths, calm myself down and get on with what I needed to do.

James

Hi all. I am starting a Beekeeping course in October this year and am trying in the meantime to gather as much information as possible. I've never done this before or even been around a hive so any information, tips, hints or just help in general would be great.
Hi, have you joined your local beekeeping association? I'm not sure if they are very active or not but by joining you can introduce yourself and perhaps find a mentor to help until the course starts. They will almost certainly have an aprairy which needs managing and voluntary help as and when needed.
The Haynes manual of beekeeping is a very good book to begin with. Utube has lots to offer, and lots of poor information unfortunately too.
Whereabouts in Brum do you live? I had a friend in Erdington who asked on Facebook for aprairy space and he was offered some really good sites. He also asks for offers removal on there and seems to get plenty of opportunity's. I'm not a million miles away so it's maybe a bit too far to meet up regularly but I don't mind talking you through the ins and outs if it helps.

Latest posts

Back