Starvation warning ⚠️

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if I missed the clockwork warning from the BBKA but one of two local association members are reporting seeing actual shortage of stores this year.
I've been feeding most of my colonies across all 3 apiaries since the end of June. Queens went off lay. I feed them 2 litres of 1:1 and 3 days later its gone. They couldn't get out due to the poor weather. This week, I have started to see a few bringing nectar in. North Staffs beekeepers have been issuing starvation warnings for weeks.
What started out to be a promising year with the hawthorn bonanza has become very bleak.
We had wasp issues in early July but even they have largely disappeared.

Brood box stores check should be a routine job during any inspection just the same as checking for eggs and healthy brood is, the only time I don't bother much is during the early spring main flows and the late spring /early summer ones.
Yesterday and today I checked on my colonies mainly for the stores , a couple will be supplemented with saved brood stores and empty combs replaced with one or two fuller ones.

My longhive swarm is thriving and have 30lbs of stores , my surviving CBPV colony has pulled thru very nicely and all is well with them . They had about 12lbs of stores between the two BB's , first time for about 8 weeks the Q showed her self other wise plenty eggs still being laid I supplemented them with a couple of extra frames brood stores.

My best hive has 2 supers. The brood box had little to no stores yesterday, so I added a frame of stores.

I will continue to monitor, but even if they use up the frame I added to the brood box... they should be ok as there are two supers above? Yes?
How long is a piece of string.... depends on how strong it is, how hungry or frugal they are, and the weather we have. I have had strong hives at this time of the year going through a super in 8-10 days!

How long is a piece of string.... depends on how strong it is, how hungry or frugal they are, and the weather we have. I have had strong hives at this time of the year going through a super in 8-10 days!
Wow, that’s mad.

But they should go up to the Super to get stores? I mean, they won’t stay in the brood box and die of starvation, would they?

But they should go up to the Super to get stores? I mean, they won’t stay in the brood box and die of starvation, would they?
of course they will go up - can't understand why you put a frame of stores into the brood box when you have two supers of stores on top

Wow, that’s mad.

Yes but make sure you take the Qx out. They would go through a super that quick at the height of the season when they are really active, at their strongest, and unable to gather due to poor weather. In the winter it all slows down.

of course they will go up - can't understand why you put a frame of stores into the brood box when you have two supers of stores on top
I sort of panicked.

As there is brood in the brood box that needs attending to, I was afraid of not adding a frame of stores.

The other hive could spare the frame, so thought I’d rather be safe than sorry.

I sort of panicked.

As there is brood in the brood box that needs attending to, I was afraid of not adding a frame of stores.

The other hive could spare the frame, so thought I’d rather be safe than sorry.
at this time of year, as the bees are nowhere near clustered they are well capable of tending the brood, the queen and popping up above the queen excluder to bring down some food.

at this time of year, as the bees are nowhere near clustered they are well capable of tending the brood, the queen and popping up above the queen excluder to bring down some food.
Judging by my disappearing supers I would agree

Still plenty of forage around in certain areas and colonies are strong - but they’re not bringing in excess. As others have said, I also am dropping brood frames with stores into many hives at the moment - yet to take off the crop but a fine balancing act between harvest / treating / feeding. Always strange years but this is a testing one.
IMG_3274.jpeg

Yes, this does my head in when people say this. What could possibly be the reason for putting honey up in supers if they're not going to go get it when they need it!?
I would certainly hope so. We are forever cautioned about taking too much room up in the brood box with stores, and then five minutes later told oh no not enough stores in the brood box. 😭

Some of the swarms I took back in May are looking rather light at the moment, it has to be said. Inspecting tomorrow, so I'll see what I think then. Fortunately the weather has improved a bit and they're flying most days.

James

I have not seen a season like this no stores in brood boxes massive colonies no summer honey feeding a month now 5 litres of 2 to1 syrup each visit .. hope the heather produces

Over the last few days my hives have switched into overdrive. My bee bee tree seems to be supplying a lot of the demand although there's air traffic in all directions from the apiary.

Attachments

• 20230811_110725.jpg
    20230811_110725.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230810_105629.mp4
    4.1 MB
  • 20230811_110619.jpg
    20230811_110619.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Over the last few days my hives have switched into overdrive. My bee bee tree seems to be supplying a lot of the demand although there's air traffic in all directions from the apiary.
I love these. I have a kind of Bee Tree on the island in the apiary pond. Should be in flower soon
The Eucryphia in the garden is heavy with blossom and alive with bees

Latest posts

Back